Re: [SCA-JML] was Good Morning now poetry

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 2, 2005
      --- "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
      <tatsushu@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:15:31 -0800 (PST), Jennifer
      > Kobayashi
      > > > (Ii Katsumori)
      > > >
      > > > (Makiwara Yetsuko)
      > > >
      > > > (Ii Katsumori)
      > > >
      > > > (Date Yukiie)
      > > >
      > > > (Ki no Torahime)
      > > >
      > > > (Ii Katsumori)
      > > > The winter's silence
      > > > Broken by the nightengale
      > > > Will give way to dawn.
      > > > Will I then have nothing but
      > > > Memories of frosty sleeves?
      > > >
      > > (Ki no Izumi)
      > > Frozen petals fall;
      > > Float across frosty grasses.
      > > Misty memories,
      > > Heated as breath, haunt my room.
      > > Will his letter bring the spring?
      >
      > (Ii Katsumori)
      > Spring flowers open
      > Layered petals vie for place
      > Out in the garden
      > If one examined them all,
      > Could one not be enlightened?

      (Ki no Izumi)
      Dawning rays reveal
      Petals and leaves unfurling;
      Greeting the new day.
      Spirit unfold; shed desire
      and drift upon the spring breeze.

      __________________________________
      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |