[SCA-JML] Re: Yari (and gulf wars)

  • Markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2000
      Greetings Noble gentles!

      One possilbe answer to:

      << I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
      about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
      16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
      and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
      Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
      long?>>

      Could be a variation of Yari-kanna (Japanese style wood planes). These had
      short handles, yari shaped spear tips, used to plane tree trunks into temple
      columns of uniform thickness and to flatten and shape large planks for floor
      boards. The shorter versions seen to day are for cabinetry and tansu. The
      large tang was necessary for controlling the yari-kanna when doing the final
      cuts of fine shavings of wood, but the handle did not have to be as long as a
      military yari.

      Fumio