Re: Mongolian slam ;-)

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...> wrote:
      > "Runoff" they call it? When the people you could hear before you
      could see them, and smell before you could hear them get wet???
      > ;-)
      >
      > Alcyoneus

      *arches an eyebrow*

      Allow me to explain the term runoff. Also known as the snow melting
      on the mountain to join the streams that flow down the mountain to
      freeze the most essential parts of anyone foolish enough to even
      THINK about bathing in said water. *grinning evilly* Though some
      people do claim it is a refreashing past time... I prefer not to have
      my lips turn blue at the mere thought of such an icy dip.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |