Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Good Morning and an Introduction.

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2005
      On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:11:16 -0000, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

      > > Aah! The Mongols are back! Quick, build a Wall! ;)
      > >

      > Oh quit complaining. You guys beat the Mongols back through some
      > decent efforts and careful planning. Hey, even your Divind Winds
      > took care of your pest problem for you. :D

      Yup. But it really helped that we built a wall! (Hakata Bay--Mongols
      had the Japanese so frightened the first time they spent considerable
      effort in building a wall around the bay where they were expected to
      come through again).

      > > Yeah, that lack of bathing, that overripe meat, and then there's the
      > > faint odor of gunpowder...
      >
      > Gunpowder?? What's that?? And we prefer our meat roasted or boiled,
      > thank you very much. Thbbbt.. As for bathing? YOU try and bathe in a
      > stream that has fresh mountain runoff in it while you're in the dead
      > of winter! :D

      Gunpowder: During one of (if not both) invasions of Japan the Mongols
      had what I've seen described in Japanese as 'Teppo-Nage'--basically
      large ceramic bombs, with gunpowder in the center. Some of the
      scrolls show it rather dramatically, actually.

      > Oh Please do. I enjoy a good Haiku or Tanka. Though I'm afraid
      > you'll have to add honey into my tea if you expect me to drink it,
      > hehehe. And my fingers goofed on the name of the flute. Me bad.

      Wind blowing through grass
      Amidst soft rustle of silk
      Along the causeway
      Whose outline do I see here,
      While the cherry blossoms fall?

      > Been there, have it bookmarked.. There's jut one problem. I'm not
      > sure if the garb for a Monk is the same style for a Female persona.
      > *evil grin* Forgot to mention that little fact, hehehe.

      Oops! My apologies. And I noticed it after the fact. I don't know
      Mongol names, though, so couldn't place 'Qara', and the shakuhachi is
      traditionally a man's instrument as the koto is traditionally a
      woman's (that's traditionally modernly, I don't know about back in the
      day), and all the komuso I've seen have been men, so...

      If you want a female religious persona, you are looking at a nun
      ('ama'). Be forewarned that 'ama' is not usually a complimentary term
      for women modernly.

      I thought there was a picture at the Kyoto Costume Museum
      (www.iz2.or.jp) but I couldn't find it.

      > It's kind of hard to explain. My first experience with the ancient
      > Japanese culture was from Shogun...the miniseries. *ducking thrown
      > objects and the booing and hissing* I dont know, it's just the aura
      > of peacefulness. Its' the only way I can describe it. The way they do
      > things, the.. Simplicity that surrounds their lives. I mean, even
      > the most simple thing, like the first blossom of spring is a gift to
      > be experienced in it's entirety. And I'm waxing eloquent.

      It is the same kind of romanticism that draws many to Japan. You
      could really be looking at either the Heian culture or the Momoyama,
      depending on your point of view.

      Late period is when you get your somber colours. Zen became popular
      with the warrior class (buke) and things like the tea ceremony became
      what we know today.

      Heian period you had more colors, more layers, and its the time of the
      "Tale of Genji" and similar tales. I highly recommend "Tale of Genji"
      and Sei Shonagon's "Pillow Book", even if you want to go late period.

      > I prefer browns and blacks myself. My personal colors are black and
      > white. I don't really like to stand out in a crowd like a peacock in
      > full bloom. *sorry guys, couldn't help it* One of the nice things
      > about Mongol Garb is that it's easy and rugged and blends in with the
      > earth tones. I like that, browns, muted greens, grays, blacks.

      You probably want later period then, but check out the Costume Museum.

      -Ii
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |