Silly Estrella story.

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Okay, Two years ago I went to Estrella to visit with my mom, who is a
      merchant in the SCA. For the past few months I had been working on a
      Tetsubo for the field battles. I get there just in time to get
      everything set up, hop into armor, then truck it down to Marshall's
      point carrying this huge knobby club with a thrusting tip on the top.

      I swear, that thing became a Marshall Magnet. The one guy held it up
      and said, "What IS this thing? Hey you guys, c'mere and check out
      this weapon!" heheeh It was hilarious to see all the marshals who
      weren't busy come over to check it out.

      Yes, I did get the sticker and they proclaimed it a Violent Work of
      Art. The group I was fighting with took one look at that, looked at
      me and said, "We're glad you're fighting on OUR side.. WE don't want
      to get hit with that thing!"

      Actually, it was fun doing the research for it. I never knew just
      exactly how many weapons the Japanese used besides their swords for
      battle.

      Ah well, heh. Just thought I'd share that small story from me to you.
      Qara
    • Kita Jiru Toramassa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        I am really curious to know how you built it. I have been toying with
        the idea myself but I've restrained myself becuase I am not sure if I
        can get the shape right without going over the weight limit. I've
        considered Foam (the fun noodles) but it makes it hit to light.

        --
        "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
        things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I

        John Lyon
        aka The Ugly Dragon
        aka Kita Jiru Toramassa
      • Diane Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
          I think mine skirted the weight limit on weapon weight. I have to be
          careful on how I use it.

          Okay, here's how I made mine. I got handed a 3 -4 foot length of
          Rattan by a friend of mine at Great Western War the year before that.
          Was a good hefty piece. So, I brought it home and stared at it for a
          bit, then I looked at the Samurai Warlords * I think that was the
          title* by STephen Turnbull. Shows a colored plate of a Samurai
          cleaning a heavy club with a silk cloth.

          Using an old sword blank I had, I cut it up into 1 or 2 inch long
          pieces. I used a chisel and hammer to split them in half, so I had 16
          individual pieces for clackers. Now comes the fun part.

          Instead of just taping them straight onto the rattan, I did something
          fun. I had some closed cel foam camping pads that I use for padding
          helmets and.. occasionally sleeping on. I cut out 16 individual
          pieces of foam to match the clackers. The hard part was getting the
          strapping tape and the rest of it all in one spot. After that, I
          made 4 even rings of studs on the Tetsubo. Yes, it's a difficult
          job, but once you get done, put electical tape on all those little
          knobs you just made. Tadah. Thrusting tip is optional, however.

          Here's helping hint: Use a secondary piece of rattan to space those
          rings out. When fighting with a buddy, those spaces are great for
          capturing an opponents weapon and holding it steady while your
          fighting friend plays the Taiko Drums on his ribcage. :D

          Sorry for the long post.
          Qara

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kita Jiru Toramassa <toramassa@g...>