Re: Good Morning and an Introduction.

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Taylor" <qara0@y...> wrote:
      > Oh Please do. I enjoy a good Haiku or Tanka.

      Hmmm, may have to start a tanka chain again - as soon as inspiration
      strikes. ;->

      > I prefer browns and blacks myself. My personal colors are black and
      > white. I don't really like to stand out in a crowd like a peacock in
      > full bloom. *sorry guys, couldn't help it* One of the nice things
      > about Mongol Garb is that it's easy and rugged and blends in with the
      > earth tones. I like that, browns, muted greens, grays, blacks.

      Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the same images on the web,
      but there are a couple of 16th century portraits of women in "Japan's
      Golden Age: Momoyama" by Money Hickman where pale underrobes are worn
      with dark brown robes tied around their waists. Sober colors are very
      much the influence of Zen, so that may be a good place to start.

      > Hey, Camoflage Kimono...

      Don't laugh, go here and look. There's a male figure in an outfit that
      looks an awful lot like camo.
      http://www.tnm.go.jp/en/servlet/Con?&pageId=E16&processId=01&col_id=A10470&img_i\
      d=C0042445&ref=2&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=11%5B34%5D_____4181_&Q5=&F1=&F2=

      Makiwara
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |