Re: Good Morning and an Introduction.

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
      <tatsushu@g...> wrote:

      > Aah! The Mongols are back! Quick, build a Wall! ;)

      Oh quit complaining. You guys beat the Mongols back through some
      decent efforts and careful planning. Hey, even your Divind Winds
      took care of your pest problem for you. :D

      > Yeah, that lack of bathing, that overripe meat, and then there's the
      > faint odor of gunpowder...

      Gunpowder?? What's that?? And we prefer our meat roasted or boiled,
      thank you very much. Thbbbt.. As for bathing? YOU try and bathe in a
      stream that has fresh mountain runoff in it while you're in the dead
      of winter! :D

      > Hey! What are you saying! That we aren't fierce or somethin'? I
      > think I'm going to have to drink tea while I compose a poem to
      > properly express my indignation. I hope I have the right colored
      > paper...

      Oh Please do. I enjoy a good Haiku or Tanka. Though I'm afraid
      you'll have to add honey into my tea if you expect me to drink it,
      hehehe. And my fingers goofed on the name of the flute. Me bad.

      > > BTW, I live in the Barony of Dreiburgen in Caid.
      >
      > Forgive my ignorance, but where is that? "Three Cities" or
      somesuch?
      > Too far for me, in general, as I'm in Stierbach, Atlantia (just
      > outside of D.C.).

      Dreiburgen is in Riverside/San Bernardino areas of California. Caid
      is Southern California.

      > Anyway, tongue firmly out of cheek, welcome to the list and I hope
      > that we can help you with your search. It sounds like you are
      > interested in the monkish type of persona, so I would send you first
      > to Mokurai's temple (http://mokurai.destinyslobster.com/)--there is
      an
      > entire section on portraying a Japanese monk in the SCA.

      Been there, have it bookmarked.. There's jut one problem. I'm not
      sure if the garb for a Monk is the same style for a Female persona.
      *evil grin* Forgot to mention that little fact, hehehe.

      > If you aren't sure, what is it you like about Japan? That may
      help.
      > Is it just the shakuhachi at the moment? Is it the tea ceremony?
      The
      > poetry?

      It's kind of hard to explain. My first experience with the ancient
      Japanese culture was from Shogun...the miniseries. *ducking thrown
      objects and the booing and hissing* I dont know, it's just the aura
      of peacefulness. Its' the only way I can describe it. The way they do
      things, the.. Simplicity that surrounds their lives. I mean, even
      the most simple thing, like the first blossom of spring is a gift to
      be experienced in it's entirety. And I'm waxing eloquent.

      Do you prefer muted browns and blacks, or bright
      > orange and gold? Etc., etc.
      >
      > -Ii

      I prefer browns and blacks myself. My personal colors are black and
      white. I don't really like to stand out in a crowd like a peacock in
      full bloom. *sorry guys, couldn't help it* One of the nice things
      about Mongol Garb is that it's easy and rugged and blends in with the
      earth tones. I like that, browns, muted greens, grays, blacks.

      Hey, Camoflage Kimono... Nah.. someone'd notice the moving foliage as
      I tried to escape Court. :D

      Qara
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |