[SCA-JML] Re: Good Morning and an Introduction.

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2005
      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! Farmers and the like did not in general have family
      names, however this does not necessarily mean that they just had one name.
      There are two possible conventions in addition to trade names: there are still
      the house names used for census purposes and there are the ancient -be
      names. Some of the ancient be were associated with specific skilled arts
      while other were set up to retired imperial princesses and that sort of thing.
      Basically, a farmer does not have the option of a distinctive occupational
      name. Consequently, a farmer has to be recorded either by the field that they
      work myouden (named field) or the -be to which they belong or by some
      similar means.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |