Re: Good Morning and an Introduction. (SILLY)

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
      <tatsushu@g...> wrote:

      > Hey! What are you saying! That we aren't fierce or somethin'? I
      > think I'm going to have to drink tea while I compose a poem to
      > properly express my indignation.
      You're so handsome when your angry, Ii-dono. ;->

      > I hope I have the right colored paper...

      Want to borrow some lilac paper? I find it rather hints of apoplexy.
      Or spring. Most versatile.

      > Forgive my ignorance, but where is that? "Three Cities" or somesuch?

      My oxcart passed through part of it it on the way to Estrella. San
      Bernardino/Riverside area, I believe. (BTW, I'm from the Province of
      the Mists, Oakland area).

      > Do you want to lounge around and compose poetry with women tittering
      Hey! I do not titter. I laugh musically and elegantly. Find your own
      paper, monkey boy.

      BTW, folks, I just picked up a copy of "The World Turned Upside Down"
      by Pierre Francois Souyri in the hopes of filling in some knowledge
      gaps. It looks to be a decent overview of medieval Japan. Anybody else
      read it?

      Welcome to the list, Qara. We've got lots of knowledgeable folks here
      and they're really good about sharing what they know.

      Makiwara
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

        >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

        If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
        translate the synopsis.
        Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
        until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
        sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
        Here are several plays:

        Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
        Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
        Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
        Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

        I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
        but I can not
        remember its name off the top of my head.

        A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
        most have not.
        There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
        correctly, it was
        written by Donald Keene.

        | trash by my email filters. |