[SCA-JML] Re: Name help

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005

      Late Muromachi is different. The new fashion in women's given names uses an
      O-<theme> construction. And, I believe that the name is combined with the
      family (more accurately residence) name. The order is what you would expect,
      the given name is last.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
        Tsuki-hime,

        I do not have the books in front of me (I am at work) but I belive that "tsuki-me" (moon woman)is a fine personal name for the era (1570-1580) that you are targeting. You would need to check if "tsuki" is the appropriate character/pronunciation for it though.

        Japanese naming practices at first glance can be very confusing, I beleive the main cause for it is the huge difference in the words and forms of words used. European derived languages have a greater similarity, such as Iustinos = Justinos - the modern Justin, or Mikhail = Mikal = Michael
        (As a personal aside I am begining to think that "Saburou" is the Japanese SCA equivilent to "Bob" or "John")

        As far as knowledgeable people go, Lady Solvieg is perhapse one of the most learned and studied people on this list in the realm of Japanese names. As a matter of fact, it can be said with accuracy that she is the one who "Wrote the book" that the College of Heralds uses to check period Japanese names against. (I do not know if she is still or ever was a commenting member of the CoH herself, but I am sure she could give you advice to use on the process.)

        In regards to your question not being answered, I belive your thread got hijacked. There are so many posts with the subject "nani-nani-Name Help/Request-nani-nani" that it is easy for people to loose track of which thread is which.

        Things that would go towards consideration besides the date of your persona, is class, wealth within the class, area/region of Japan, if you had any assumed names as well, if you had taken vows to become a nun, your marital status, and possibly if you held any titles but those are not usualy registered.

        YIS
        Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa
      • Maria
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2005
          Solveig wrote:

          > Late Muromachi is different. The new fashion in women's given names
          > uses an
          > O-<theme> construction. And, I believe that the name is combined with the
          > family (more accurately residence) name. The order is what you would
          > expect,
          > the given name is last.

          I do have a question about that. In watching some Japanese
          dramas/movies set in the Edo period, there seemed to be a habit where
          women's names would have the O- added to the front as a sign of respect
          (or affection??). For example, a girl named Masu was called Masu-san or
          Masu-chan by most people, but O-Masu by a guy who admired her. Or say,
          the lord's sister, Ichi, would be referred to as O-Ichi, although the
          subtitled hiragana when they introduced her simply said "Ichi". What
          was the rules of that usage, and when did that start? Is it within SCA
          period?

          A second question also: it seems like the Kyoto folk kept saying "-han"
          when the Edo people were saying "-san". Was I mishearing things, or is
          that a regional variation? (Note: didn't hear the Osaka folk saying
          "-han" so I didn't think it was Kansai-ben). When did "-san" come into
          usage? I know "-dono" and "-sama" were in use for the Good People, but
          was "-san" being used amongst the commoners at an earlier time?

          Writing from my home overlooking the Great River,

          Ki no Torahime
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2005

            Greetings from Solveig! Late Muromachi is the sixteenth century. If I was being
            more exact, I would have mentioned the azuchi-momoyama period.

            >I do have a question about that. In watching some Japanese
            >dramas/movies set in the Edo period, there seemed to be a habit where
            >women's names would have the O- added to the front as a sign of respect
            >(or affection??). For example, a girl named Masu was called Masu-san or
            >Masu-chan by most people, but O-Masu by a guy who admired her. Or say,
            >the lord's sister, Ichi, would be referred to as O-Ichi, although the
            >subtitled hiragana when they introduced her simply said "Ichi". What
            >was the rules of that usage, and when did that start? Is it within SCA
            >period?

            This gets a bit messy. You need to understand that dropping name parts is
            an easy way to make nick-names. -san is a fairly recent honourific.
            Technically,
            the O- is also an honourific, but it functions more as part of the name. This
            busines about O- pretty much dissappeared in the early Meiji period. Many
            years ago there was a Taiga drama called O-?? I forget her name at the moment.
            Regardless, she is born sometime around the Meiji Restoration and makes up
            to sometime around Taiheiyou Sensou.

            >A second question also: it seems like the Kyoto folk kept saying "-han"
            >when the Edo people were saying "-san". Was I mishearing things, or is
            >that a regional variation?

            Kansai-ben (Osaka area dialect) is supposed to be softer sounding than
            Kantou-ben (Toukyou area dialect). Kyouto is supposed to pretty much
            have its own distinctive women's speech. However, except when explicitly
            writing dialogue, you will see Kansai people writing -san.

            >(Note: didn't hear the Osaka folk saying
            >"-han" so I didn't think it was Kansai-ben). When did "-san" come into
            >usage? I know "-dono" and "-sama" were in use for the Good People, but
            >was "-san" being used amongst the commoners at an earlier time?

            Knowing when -san came in may be difificult. However, I believe that it is
            simply an informal variant on -sama. You see -sama as early as the late
            Muromachi, but I think that is about the earliest I have seen it and only
            rarely in those cases. The same document may show several people with
            different honourifics attached to the ends of their names. Just to complicate
            things, you can also see the kanji for uji attached to peoples names. This is
            fairly common in newspapers. In modern Japan, you encounter -<sama>
            -<dono> and -<uji> fairly frequently. Here I wrote forms by which you can
            easily tell which character is being written, I am not saying that they are
            read in this way when used as honourifics.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • elwenaduialloth
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 24, 2008
              Hey all. I'm somewhat new to the SCA and recently a few friends and I
              have decided to do Japanese personas as a group. First of all, would
              we be able to all take the same clan name and would we have to do
              anything special to get that passed? Second of all, we have some ideas
              for names that we came up with based on the information in "An Online
              Japanese Miscellany" and I would like some feedback on whether they are
              viable or not. The clan name is Yashiro. The full names in question
              are Yashiro Ryuutarou Katsuaki, Yashiro Ryuuzaburou Harutoshi, and
              Yashiro Hana, although I'm a lot less certain about the female name
              structure than the males. Am I just way off base with this or are
              these workable? We are currently looking at Muromachi period, early to
              mid 1500s. Thank you so much.

              ~Renee