Atlantian Event Update

  • Taira no Akiyo
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
      Aloha!

      The Japanese themed event in the Barony of Bright Hills, Kingdom of
      Atlantia now has a site. It will be held at the Hampstead Fire Hall in
      Maryland on October 29, 2005. This will be a day event as the usual site
      for T&T, it was a camping event, has now moved into the out of budget
      range. So far we have one A&S competition lined up, details to follow on
      others.

      We're still looking for a name for the event. In the past it has been
      "True Love & Treachery," "Transylvania Travesty," "Theigns and Thrulls"
      basically it has to have the letter "T" twice in the name. We're planning
      on it being a late period, think Warring States, event so we can
      incorporate the beginning of western missionaries and merchants in Japan.
      So if anybody has an idea, please let me know. The only suggestion we've
      had was "Tea & Tatami Mats."

      Please send inquiries and ideas to me at tumeno1@....

      Akiyo
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005

        Greetings from Solveig! Is the event reallygoing to shut down at say 5:00 PM?
        That really puts a damper on things. I have a hard time persuading myself to
        travel great distances for really short events.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
          Taira no Akiyo wrote:

          > Aloha!
          >
          > The Japanese themed event in the Barony of Bright Hills, Kingdom of
          > Atlantia now has a site. It will be held at the Hampstead Fire Hall in
          > Maryland on October 29, 2005. This will be a day event as the usual site
          > for T&T, it was a camping event, has now moved into the out of budget
          > range. So far we have one A&S competition lined up, details to follow on
          > others.
          >
          > We're still looking for a name for the event. In the past it has been
          > "True Love & Treachery," "Transylvania Travesty," "Theigns and Thrulls"
          > basically it has to have the letter "T" twice in the name. We're planning
          > on it being a late period, think Warring States, event so we can
          > incorporate the beginning of western missionaries and merchants in Japan.
          > So if anybody has an idea, please let me know. The only suggestion we've
          > had was "Tea & Tatami Mats."
          >
          > Please send inquiries and ideas to me at tumeno1@....
          >
          > Akiyo

          DRAT!!! I've already scheduled a personal party for that
          day...celebrating my 64th birthday with a party, you see. And that's
          the actual day of my birthday. Sigh. So I won't be able to be a part
          of your event.

          Kiri
        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
            > We're still looking for a name for the event. In the past it has been
            > "True Love & Treachery," "Transylvania Travesty," "Theigns and Thrulls"
            > basically it has to have the letter "T" twice in the name. We're planning
            > on it being a late period, think Warring States, event so we can
            > incorporate the beginning of western missionaries and merchants in Japan.
            > So if anybody has an idea, please let me know. The only suggestion we've
            > had was "Tea & Tatami Mats."

            Tea and Taira
            Take & Ta (except most people wouldn't read it 'ta-kay', but like the
            English 'Take')
            Tachi & Tea
            Taira & Tachi
            Tsuchinoto-Tori!
            Treachery on Tsuchimikado
            Taira and Tumeno (j/k!)
            Treachery on the Tokaido

            Just some thoughts.

            You should make sure to put this on the SCA-JML calendar so people can
            look it up!

            -Ii
          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
              <tatsushu@g...> wrote:
              > You should make sure to put this on the SCA-JML calendar so people can
              > look it up!

              I just got my March "Page" and I see there's a Cherry Blossom Viewing
              event up in Eskalya (Anchorage, Alaska) on April 16. (Anchorage.
              Cherry blossoms. Who knew?) No event copy has been posted (or webbed)
              yet, it's just on the kingdom calendar. If I find out more, I'll pass
              it on.

              Maki (yawn) wara
            • Taira no Akiyo
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005
                Aloha!

                We were able to get into the site at 6 am, the event officially started at
                10:30, and I think we had to be out around 10 or 12 ish in the evening.
                There will be a feast cooked by the Bright Hills Cooks Guild. The
                tentative plan is to have each course correspond with the different
                cultures, ie. Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish. I'm currently calling in
                favors to borrow rice cookers from friends. We're also working on doing a
                tea, anybody want to volunteer? I have plans *EG* There will be rapier and
                heavy combat. We're working on space for archery and a brewing
                competition. This is the event where the Baronial champions are selected
                so we plan to run the gambit of activities. As I said, more updates to
                follow.

                Akiyo

                > Noble Cousin!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig! Is the event reallygoing to shut down at say 5:00
                > PM?
                > That really puts a damper on things. I have a hard time persuading myself
                > travel great distances for really short events.
                > --
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar
              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 22, 2005

                  Trapists and Treachery. (Too bad the Trapists weren't important in Japan)

                  If you could just switch letters, you could have:

                  Jesuits & Japan

                  Of course, the Iberians introduced guns to Japan so you could have:

                  Tea & Tanegashima

                  Tatami Mats is semi-redundant. Tatami are mats.

                  | trash by my email filters. |
                • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 23, 2005
                    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:59:25 -0500, Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:

                    > Of course, the Iberians introduced guns to Japan so you could have:
                    >
                    > Tea & Tanegashima

                    Tea & Teppo (Guns)?

                    Or 'Tachi v. Teppo' (Sword v. Gun)

                    -Ii