Re: Katana and Tachi mounting systems

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
      > > >Can anyone tell me or suggest a website that
      > > >shows how a katana and wakazashi were mounted
      > > >when the samurai was dressed in his armor? I
      > > >know the katana was usually put blade down
      > > >and hung from a mounting system during
      > > >armored occasions but I cannot figure out how
      > > >it worked. Any advice?
      > >
      > > Here is one website that shows this
      > http://rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/index.html
      > > (I haven't gotten around to making my sword site yet) but possibly
      > I can exaplain it to you.

      In case it wasn't apparent, the mountings are under 'koshiate'. This
      is the direct link:
      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/koshiate.html

      The Tanki Yoriaku is an eighteenth century document so the above are
      not necessarily 'period' techniques.

      Some tachi pics showing some saya mount points:
      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/img/misc/tachishitsurae1.jpg
      http://www.yusoku.com/tachishitsurae.htm

      Otagiri