[SCA-JML] Re: kanji and romanji

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
      Hi.

      I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
      last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
      calligraphy.

      Rope ties were (and to some extent still are) a high art form
      in Japan. I bought a really nice book at Kinokuniya once that
      dealt exclusively with knots. (Unfortunately, it may have
      perished in one of the floods.)

      | techie.com |
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
        > last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
        > calligraphy.

        Is that the one with the sumo-ban type face, a few interesting seal faces,
        and the nice calligraphy faces? I've got that one myself. Great package,
        with some nice fonts. It came in very handy in preparing some handouts in
        my Japanese pedagogy class. <G>

        Effingham/Hiraizumi
      • BamboOni@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
          In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, akimoya@...
          writes:

          > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
          >
          > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
          >
          > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
          > > be really cool.
          >
          > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
          >
          > Akimoya
          > Ealdormere

          I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two different
          computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???

          Oni
        • akimoya
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
            On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

            > Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
            > really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
            > days.

            I don't suppose you have any references...

            > The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
            > had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

            So I have heard aserted.

            Akimoya
            Ealdormere
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
              Baron Edward!

              It is the "dynafont" set priced at 12,000Y (It was marked at $95.00 and
              I think I got it for less than that, but it's still worth every penny at
              $95.00.)
              It has a font called heiseimincho, a gyosho font, and other neat stuff.
              I am still after a couple of Japanese fonts, but finding stuff of this
              sort outside of Japan is pretty amazing. I think that there is a Sumo
              ban typeface in the second disk, but it is not shown on the back of the
              box. RFNum117 looks like it might be a Sumo-ban font. (Unfortunately,
              the booklet only shows the numerals and few special signs. I don't feel
              like installing the font just to find out.)

              I still want fonts for several of the old-style character styles which
              I have forgotten the names of (at least some of them). Unfortunately,
              my best calligraphy manual (which had all of this stuff in it)
              dissappeared at Pennsic several years ago along with two rings. I
              hope that whoever has them has at least found a use for them and has
              not just thrown them out due to being mean.

              Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
              Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
              Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

              | techie.com |
            • akimoya
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 30, 2000
                On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                > Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                > Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find the East Kingdom Chronicler,
                and ask them to look for your article; they're certain to have back issues
                archived somewhere.

                Akimoya
                Ealdormere
              • Ogami Itto
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                  bamboon-@... wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sca-jml/?start=182
                  > In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  akimoya@...
                  > writes:
                  >
                  > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                  > >
                  > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
                  > >
                  > > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that
                  would
                  > > > be really cool.
                  > >
                  > > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
                  > >
                  > > Akimoya
                  > > Ealdormere
                  >
                  > I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two
                  different
                  > computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???
                  >
                  > Oni

                  I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                  computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                  And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                  asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                  anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                  votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                  Ogami Itto
                • Kass McGann
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                    I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                    computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                    And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                    asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                    anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                    votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                    Ogami Itto

                    Personally, I don't mind your questions, Ogami-wake. If you didn't ask
                    something, I fear the list would be totally quiet.

                    I just wish you guys would talk about something other than weapons
                    sometimes... ;)

                    Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
                  • Joshua Badgley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                      On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                      > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                      > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                      > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                      > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                      >
                      > Ogami Itto

                      I love it when people ask questions, and my apologies if I cannot always
                      answer them. Please, continue asking questions!

                      Godric Logan
                      aka Joshua Badgley
                    • BamboOni@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                        In a message dated 1/31/00 9:12:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        shubnigurath@... writes:

                        > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                        > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                        > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                        > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                        >
                        > Ogami Itto

                        By no means.... You are just asking questions before I think to ask them.....

                        Oni
                      • akimoya
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                          On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                          > > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                          > > >
                          > > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                          > I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                          > computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                          Try the US server at:

                          http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                          Akimoya
                          Ealdormere
                        • Jordan Malokofsky
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                            Ogami Itto wrote:
                            > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                            > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                            > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                            > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                            And if you're the only one asking questions and stop, then this list
                            wouldn't be good for very much with no postings, would it? I vote for
                            your continued questions.

                            Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
                            <There is an exception to every rule.>

                            Jordan Malokofsky - Mundane
                            Tatsuki Akira - SCA
                            Sir Pip - Cyberspace Avatar
                            http://www.malokofsky.ann-arbor.mi.us
                          • akimoya
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                              On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, akimoya wrote:

> [...]

                              I just discovered that they've changed the domain name at the Canadian
                              Server for the J-E Dictionary; it is now:

                              http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                              Akimoya
                              Ealdormere
                            • BamboOni@aol.com