Upcoming Japanese Theme Feast

  • Jason & Christina Hunt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14 11:39 PM
      Good day to you all!

      Up here in chilly Avacal we are having a Theme Feast on October the 21st
      and we would like to poll this list for some timely recipies that might go
      over well with the largely Norse/English/Germanic persona's we have here. We
      have convinced everyone up here that a Japanese Theme Feast would be quite
      interesting but we are still looking for ideas both for the kitchen and for
      some small events to offer a little Japanese flavor to the proceedings. Any
      suggestions you might have would be most appreciated! Thank you for your
      time!

      Jason/Masaharu & Christina/Harume
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15 2:35 PM

        Well then! Serve Japanese winter food.

        Kurigohan (Rice with chestnuts in it)
        Miso Soup (Its hot and inoffensive)
        kushiyaki (bits of chicken, beef, pig liver, tofu, whatever on a stick -
        be sure to put only one sort of thing on those sticks, otherwise
        you are making shishkabob.)
        Oden (Stewed vegtables, eggs etc. Each is cooked separately and the
        diners get to pick what they want.)
        Soba (although this is a substitute for rice)
        Yaki imo .. If they don't like yaki imo, there is something wrong with
        them. These are roasted yams. Now then. I'd have to look up
        exactly when this vegetable makes it to Japan, but I believe that
        the one they use is an old world vegetable and not a new world
        vegetable. Regardless, these are yams roasted in a bed of red hot
        stones. I sorely miss the nightly migration of the yaki imo truck.
        Yaaaakiimo.. Iiiiiishiiyaaaakiimo.. Oishii desu yo! ... &c SIGH!!!

        Pickles! Pickles! and more Pickles! Takuan, &c.

        For Desert! Completely destroy their sweet tooth with either Ohagi or
        some sort of dango. Dango are squishy candy on a stick. Technically
        though, sweets are served after meals and not part of a meal. Buddhist
        temple practice was to use a bit of pickle for scrubbing your own bowls
        before reassembling and wrapping them prior to leaving the refectory.
        The formal meal eaten during a saji has inherited some of this practice.

        Seriously though. What is the theme for this event beyond it being
        Japanese? The nature of the food served depends a lot upon season and
        social circumstances. Oh yes! DO NOT SERVE SUSHI!! The only Sushi which
        is period will seriously confuse people. If you wish to be exotic and
        serve some nice Portugese food, then serve Tenpura. I also have a nice
        recepie for Southern Barbarian Chicken which you might be interested
        in. It is a sort of Japanese take on Portugese chicken stew or some
        such thing. I would have to look at the recepie again. (Note. I have
        a copy of the oldest <that I know of> Japanese cook book. Yes. I do
        hope to have part of it translated by next Pennsic.)

        I'm off to an event in a few minutes. I can look things up for you after
        I get back. You might even call me Monday night and we can discuss it
        if you wish. My number here should be 570-408-4840

        | techie.com, msn.com |