Re: [SCA-JML] Armor Question

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2005
      Ii-dono

      You must be tired,

      >There is at least one example of leather, but I don't
      >know if it was ever used on later armours.

      Your namesake Ii Naomasa had leather laced armor, leather was used late period.

      -Takeda
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8, 2005
        On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 sigrune@... wrote:

        > You must be tired,
        >
        >> There is at least one example of leather, but I don't
        >> know if it was ever used on later armours.
        >
        > Your namesake Ii Naomasa had leather laced armor, leather was used late period.

        I knew there was a reason we were keeping you around ;)

        I don't recall seeing late armours that I could tell, though. Thanks.

        -Ii
      • S. David Lee
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 8, 2005
          My squires and I (along with lots of other people in Yama Kaminari
          who have sengoku jidai armor) have had great success with 1/4" flat
          tubular nylon lacing. The nylon wears well, doesn't fade much over a
          decade of use, and is easy to slip through the 1/8" holes in the
          armor by melting the ends with a lighter and forming them into long
          points. (Though 'napalm' burns aren't unknown.)

          We used to buy our lace in 1000 yard spools for roughly $100 a spool,
          but the company has gone out of business. Does anyone out there have
          a source for spooled lace?

          -Ogami
        • Kita Jiru Toramassa
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 8, 2005
            I have successfully used 550 cord and/or hocky laces. The hockey laces
            worked well because they came in 120 inches so we were able to do the
            entire torso top to bottom. It is working well for plastic and would
            probably work well for leather. I have used it for steel and they
            tended to fray and break (even the 550). The reason I like hockey
            lacing is that they are fairly wide, which means you get more
            coverage, so where they cross doesn't look like an X and you see more
            lacing. Some like it and some will say it isn't at all accurate. I
            don't know, I think my armor looks pretty good, and the lacing works
            for me.

            --
            "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
            things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I

            John Lyon
            aka The Ugly Dragon
            aka Kita Jiru Toramassa
          • bryan chapman
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
              Great thank you all for your help. Our progress is
              back on track :)

              Thank you

              Hrafn Shieldbiter

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Tim adams
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
                http://www.stlouisbraid.com/

                you can buy 5' shoe laces in ~10 colors by the gross (144) for about $50

                Tadamitsu
                using the royal blue to lace up my kozane.

                "S. David Lee" <ogamibusho@...> wrote:

                My squires and I (along with lots of other people in Yama Kaminari
                who have sengoku jidai armor) have had great success with 1/4" flat
                tubular nylon lacing. The nylon wears well, doesn't fade much over a
                decade of use, and is easy to slip through the 1/8" holes in the
                armor by melting the ends with a lighter and forming them into long
                points. (Though 'napalm' burns aren't unknown.)

                We used to buy our lace in 1000 yard spools for roughly $100 a spool,
                but the company has gone out of business. Does anyone out there have
                a source for spooled lace?

                -Ogami

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                document.write('');

              • Jason Lewis
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
                  I use laces from laces for less 72" for .80 a pair. The color choices
                  is what grabbed me.

                  Jiro
                • raijin31
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jason Lewis <jason.lewis@g...> wrote:
                    > I use laces from laces for less 72" for .80 a pair. The color
                    choices
                    > is what grabbed me.
                    >

                    > Jiro

                    I have also done business with lacesforless.com. I was very happy
                    with the service, the cost, and the laces I received.

                    Otoshi