[SCA-JML] Re: kanji and romanji

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
      Ogami Itto wrote:

      > Is it just me, or am I the only person that ever brings much of
      > anything up these days? Huh.

      Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...

      Yes. <G>

      Hiraizumi/Effingham

      Personally, I'm just waiting for any of you to bring up something civilized.
      You know, like the crisp colour of a robe newly-dyed with safflower... ;)

      Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
        akimoya wrote:

        > On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
        >
        > > Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...
        >
        > Hey, when you're good, you're good.
        >
        > And speaking of beating, does anyone have documentation on period torture
        > techniques? Is hojojitsu period? How about so-called japanese "rope
        > bondage"?

        Pretty much...

        Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
        really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
        days.

        The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
        had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

        Hiraizumi/Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
          Hi.

          I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
          last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
          calligraphy.

          Rope ties were (and to some extent still are) a high art form
          in Japan. I bought a really nice book at Kinokuniya once that
          dealt exclusively with knots. (Unfortunately, it may have
          perished in one of the floods.)

          | techie.com |
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > Hi.
            >
            > I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
            > last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
            > calligraphy.

            Is that the one with the sumo-ban type face, a few interesting seal faces,
            and the nice calligraphy faces? I've got that one myself. Great package,
            with some nice fonts. It came in very handy in preparing some handouts in
            my Japanese pedagogy class. <G>

            Effingham/Hiraizumi
          • BamboOni@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
              In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, akimoya@...
              writes:

              > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
              >
              > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
              >
              > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
              > > be really cool.
              >
              > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
              >
              > Akimoya
              > Ealdormere

              I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two different
              computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???

              Oni
            • akimoya
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
                On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                > Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
                > really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
                > days.

                I don't suppose you have any references...

                > The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
                > had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

                So I have heard aserted.

                Akimoya
                Ealdormere
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
                  Baron Edward!

                  It is the "dynafont" set priced at 12,000Y (It was marked at $95.00 and
                  I think I got it for less than that, but it's still worth every penny at
                  $95.00.)
                  It has a font called heiseimincho, a gyosho font, and other neat stuff.
                  I am still after a couple of Japanese fonts, but finding stuff of this
                  sort outside of Japan is pretty amazing. I think that there is a Sumo
                  ban typeface in the second disk, but it is not shown on the back of the
                  box. RFNum117 looks like it might be a Sumo-ban font. (Unfortunately,
                  the booklet only shows the numerals and few special signs. I don't feel
                  like installing the font just to find out.)

                  I still want fonts for several of the old-style character styles which
                  I have forgotten the names of (at least some of them). Unfortunately,
                  my best calligraphy manual (which had all of this stuff in it)
                  dissappeared at Pennsic several years ago along with two rings. I
                  hope that whoever has them has at least found a use for them and has
                  not just thrown them out due to being mean.

                  Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                  Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                  Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                  | techie.com |
                • akimoya
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 30, 2000
                    On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                    > Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                    > Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                    I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find the East Kingdom Chronicler,
                    and ask them to look for your article; they're certain to have back issues
                    archived somewhere.

                    Akimoya
                    Ealdormere
                  • Ogami Itto
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                      bamboon-@... wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sca-jml/?start=182
                      > In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      akimoya@...
                      > writes:
                      >
                      > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                      > >
                      > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
                      > >
                      > > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that
                      would
                      > > > be really cool.
                      > >
                      > > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
                      > >
                      > > Akimoya
                      > > Ealdormere
                      >
                      > I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two
                      different
                      > computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???
                      >
                      > Oni

                      I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                      computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                      And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                      asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                      anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                      votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                      Ogami Itto
                    • Kass McGann
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                        I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                        computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                        And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                        asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                        anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                        votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                        Ogami Itto

                        Personally, I don't mind your questions, Ogami-wake. If you didn't ask
                        something, I fear the list would be totally quiet.

                        I just wish you guys would talk about something other than weapons
                        sometimes... ;)

                        Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
                      • Joshua Badgley
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                          On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                          > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                          > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                          > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                          > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                          >
                          > Ogami Itto

                          I love it when people ask questions, and my apologies if I cannot always
                          answer them. Please, continue asking questions!

                          Godric Logan
                          aka Joshua Badgley
                        • BamboOni@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                            In a message dated 1/31/00 9:12:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            shubnigurath@... writes:

                            > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                            > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                            > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                            > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                            >
                            > Ogami Itto

                            By no means.... You are just asking questions before I think to ask them.....

                            Oni
                          • akimoya
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                              On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                              > > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                              > > >
                              > > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                              > I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                              > computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                              Try the US server at:

                              http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                              Akimoya
                              Ealdormere
                            • Jordan Malokofsky
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                Ogami Itto wrote:
                                > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                                > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                                > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                                > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                                And if you're the only one asking questions and stop, then this list
                                wouldn't be good for very much with no postings, would it? I vote for
                                your continued questions.

                                Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
                                <There is an exception to every rule.>

                                Jordan Malokofsky - Mundane
                                Tatsuki Akira - SCA
                                Sir Pip - Cyberspace Avatar
                                http://www.malokofsky.ann-arbor.mi.us
                              • akimoya
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                  On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, akimoya wrote:

> [...]

                                  I just discovered that they've changed the domain name at the Canadian
                                  Server for the J-E Dictionary; it is now:

                                  http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                  Akimoya
                                  Ealdormere
                                • BamboOni@aol.com