Re: [SCA-JML] Onmyou-do/Yin-Yang Divination

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Park McKellop wrote:

      > Would it take as long as oracle bones?

      I just read an account that is supposed to describe how the tortoise shell
      and deer scapulae divinations were probably done (unfortunately, I'm not
      sure of their sources :( ), accompanying a bunch of the actual texts with
      translations. According to that source (a Chinese anthology of
      literature), a packed earth mound was made inside a hut, a poker was
      heated, and five shells were 'tested'. Furthermore, they would ask
      multiple times (so five times they would say "Father Yi is the source of
      the toothache...(test)....Father Yi is not the source of the toothache...
      (test)..." and then go on to another question "Father Zhang is the source
      of the toothache...(test)...Father Zhang is not the source of the
      toothache...(test)") the described test took 15 shells, with two
      questions per shell (positive and negative), and also included a sacrifice
      and questioning the entrails just in case. That seems to me like it would
      take quite a long time as well (and be extremely product intensive--at
      least 15 tortoise shells in that one divination, and then getting a fire
      ready, etc.), so I could easily see that being just as long.

      -Ii
    • Jess
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
        On the subject - has anyone seen the movies Onmyouji one and two?

        I stumbled upon them a while back and was quite impressed by the
        details. Great costuming! (except for the monsters...)

        Apparently the movies are based on a book series based on a real
        historical character - Abe no Seimei (I think I spelled that right)
        who was a Court Onmyouji in the Heian jidai. I did a little internet
        searching, and was immidiately interested in the subject, since I
        already have a deep respect for Shinto, Buddhism, Tao, and
        Confucious.

        I hope you get enough materials to do a class, I'll be there!

        - skmt
      • mokurai
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
          You all remind me of the fact that the East Kingdom has a Soothsayer's
          Guild. I have no idea if Atlantia does, but the main thing is, there are
          people out there who would be interested in your studies and in
          attending SCA classes once you have your materials together.

          - mokurai

          --
          For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom.
          For the uncontrolled there is no concentration,
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
            I've been intending to contact the head of the Soothsayers' Guild for a while now, to discuss setting up an Atlantian branch office of sorts. Ii and I have seriously discussed forming the "Abe" clan, partially to serve as sort of a roaming Onmyoudo/divinatory/Feng Shui police (not in Tengusanji, of course).

            I can envision it now: two onmyouji walk into a Pennsic camp, one starts whispering and pasting ofuda all over the place, while the other explains: "No, no-- your sump is in a highly inauspicious spot, you should fill it in and redig it over there!" Or wandering around the marketplace warning people of directional taboos: "My lady, you are going to the East Kingdom encampment? But that is east of here-- do you not know that the east direction is today sacred to Ten'ichi? Change your destination or risk angering the deity!"

            *walks off mumbling*,
            Tsuchimikado no Abe Kotori (don'cha know Seimei-sama was my great-uncle's second cousin twice removed?)

            -------------- Original message from mokurai <mokurai@...>: --------------

            > You all remind me of the fact that the East Kingdom has a Soothsayer's
            > Guild. I have no idea if Atlantia does, but the main thing is, there are
            > people out there who would be interested in your studies and in
            > attending SCA classes once you have your materials together.
            >
            > - mokurai
            >

            > Jess wrote:
            >
            > >On the subject - has anyone seen the movies Onmyouji one and two?
            > >
            > >I stumbled upon them a while back and was quite impressed by the
            > >details. Great costuming! (except for the monsters...)
            > >
            > >Apparently the movies are based on a book series based on a real
            > >historical character - Abe no Seimei (I think I spelled that right)
            > >who was a Court Onmyouji in the Heian jidai. I did a little internet
            > >searching, and was immidiately interested in the subject, since I
            > >already have a deep respect for Shinto, Buddhism, Tao, and
            > >Confucious.
            > >
            > >I hope you get enough materials to do a class, I'll be there!
            > >
            > >- skmt

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            > --
            > For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom.
            > For the uncontrolled there is no concentration,
            > and for him without concentration, there is no peace.
            > And for the unpeaceful how can there ever be happiness?
            > - The Bhagavad Gita

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mokurai
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
              LOL
              I love it. Gambatte!

              - mo

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
                On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Jess wrote:

                > On the subject - has anyone seen the movies Onmyouji one and two?
                >
                > I stumbled upon them a while back and was quite impressed by the
                > details. Great costuming! (except for the monsters...)
                >
                > Apparently the movies are based on a book series based on a real
                > historical character - Abe no Seimei (I think I spelled that right)
                > who was a Court Onmyouji in the Heian jidai. I did a little internet
                > searching, and was immidiately interested in the subject, since I
                > already have a deep respect for Shinto, Buddhism, Tao, and
                > Confucious.

                "Onmyoji", the first one, really got me interested. The manga of the same
                name (which I believe is based on the book, or vice versa) also encouraged
                me.

                Onmyoji 2 I have mixed feelings about. Some things are better, some are
                cornier, depending on how much you know about Japanese history.

                However, Abe no Seimei is perhaps the most famous Onmyoji, and much of
                Onmyodo in Japan seems to be attributed to him and his studies. Since his
                time, at least, the Abe family has been one of the major practitioners of
                Onmyodo. There are many stories about him, both in historical accounts
                and collections of tales (e.g. Konjaku Monogatari).

                -Ii
              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
                  On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, mokurai wrote:

                  > Guild. I have no idea if Atlantia does, but the main thing is, there are
                  > people out there who would be interested in your studies and in
                  > attending SCA classes once you have your materials together.

                  Actually, Abe no Kotori and I are planning to have an Asian Night in
                  Stierbach on this very issue next Monday ;). I hope to have a handout
                  ready by then, and I'll post it online when I am finished. I'm also
                  thinking of doing something at Pennsic.

                  -Ii
                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
                    > From: "Jess" <skmt999@...>
                    >

                    >On the subject - has anyone seen the movies Onmyouji one and two?

                    Just #1 so far...

                    >I stumbled upon them a while back and was quite impressed by the
                    >details. Great costuming! (except for the monsters...)

                    Yep!

                    >Apparently the movies are based on a book series based on a real
                    >historical character - Abe no Seimei (I think I spelled that right)
                    >who was a Court Onmyouji in the Heian jidai.

                    The butterfly incident is apparently from the Nihongi? whichever of the
                    classical books Royall Tyler translated.

                    > From: ellen.m.davis@... I can envision it now: two onmyouji walk
                    > into a Pennsic camp, one starts whispering and pasting ofuda all over
                    > the place, while the other explains: "No, no-- your sump is in a
                    > highly inauspicious spot, you should fill it in and redig it over
                    > there!" Or wandering around the marketplace warning people of
                    > directional taboos: "My lady, you are going to the East Kingdom
                    > encampment? But that is east of here-- do you not know that the east
                    > direction is today sacred to Ten'ichi? Change your destination or risk
                    > angering the deity!"

                    Hehehe.... at night with good holographic equipment you could do the
                    butterfly trick!

                    > *walks off mumbling*, Tsuchimikado no Abe Kotori (don'cha know
                    > Seimei-sama was my great-uncle's second cousin twice removed?)

                    Oh, I'm not nearly so noble... I wonder what the Japanese release of
                    LOTR used for Wormtongue?

                    Jim Eckman
                  • Ii Saburou
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 7, 2005
                      On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, James Eckman wrote:

                      >> Apparently the movies are based on a book series based on a real
                      >> historical character - Abe no Seimei (I think I spelled that right)
                      >> who was a Court Onmyouji in the Heian jidai.
                      >>
                      > The butterfly incident is apparently from the Nihongi? whichever of the
                      > classical books Royall Tyler translated.

                      Actually, it is from 'Uji Shui', translated by Royall Tyler in 'Japanese
                      Tales'. In that version it is a frog that is crushed with a blade of
                      grass.

                      Very similar tale, though.

                      -Ii
                    • mokurai
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 8, 2005
                        Ii Saburou wrote:

                        >On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, mokurai wrote:
                        >

                        >>Guild. I have no idea if Atlantia does, but the main thing is, there are
                        >>people out there who would be interested in your studies and in
                        >>attending SCA classes once you have your materials together.
                        >>

                        >Actually, Abe no Kotori

                        Is that who I think it is? I can't keep up with the players. I need a
                        score card.

                        >and I are planning to have an Asian Night in
                        >Stierbach on this very issue next Monday ;). I hope to have a handout
                        >ready by then, and I'll post it online when I am finished.

                        A handout for a monthly Asian night? *sigh* this is why you'll become a
                        laurel, Ii. For me Asian Nights were unstructured hang-outs with
                        occasional sparks of research or garbing. Maybe i need to move to
                        Washington.

                        > I'm also thinking of doing something at Pennsic.

                        You better!

                        - mo