Re: [SCA-JML] drill press? paint that won't take it...

  • Marc Choronzey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2000
      Konbanwa,

      >can i assume that's the same as the "drill press" you can
      >pick up
      >at the hardware store (i have one for the Dremel but not my
      >reg'lar
      >drill) or are we on different pages ...in different
      >manuals?;->

      Actually I was talking about a drill press the tool (as in a high-power
      drill stuck to a +/- 20" shaft).

      And thanks for the hints...

      Ja mata,

      Sayonara.
      "A man who judges others but not himself judges badly..."
      "Sohei desu, sohei nan desu!"

      Hebikage Shimaha
      (Marc Choronzey)
      514-355-7696

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Ogami Itto
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2000
        > Actually I was talking about a drill press the tool (as in a high-
        power
        > drill stuck to a +/- 20" shaft).
        >
        > And thanks for the hints...

        Okay, now *I'm* confused. What do you mean by a +/- 20" shaft?
        I know what a drill press is (I'm a machinist), but ??? Hints,
        anyone?

        I have often thought that the easiest way to make kozane would
        be to hire someone to make several sets of dies for them. Sharpened
        properly, and with the right tolerances, you could even use them to
        punch out leather ones. True, you would nead a lot of leather, and
        you would need someone with a punch press in their basement (I happen
        to know just such a person...), but it would work. But I'm too lazy
        to try to make armor that way. I'd rather just hire somone else to
        do the work for me, someone that really knew what they were doing.
        (YES, THIS IS A VERY BIG HINT!!! I'm still waiting, and I *know*
        that you are on this list...)

        ~Yoshinobu
      • Marc Choronzey
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2000
          With all respects due to Darkheart and the rest, That's exactly what I was
          saying to my armouring partner!

          If you make armour(not just japanese); make the armour for the SCA and not a
          SCA armour with a "period look".

          -Shimaha.

          --------------------------------

          Actually, that's my general philosophy in all my armour, and I think that's
          why
          I have so little respect for so many of the people making "Japanese armour"
          out
          there... they're NOT making japanese armour, they're making LARP armour that
          they spray "Japanese" on as they wave their hands in a "hocus pocus" way to
          try
          to make them look vaguely Japabogus.

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • Marc Choronzey
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 18, 2000
            Thanks for the gentle reprimand, never having been to Pensic, I've missed
            out on much.

            And I would likewise be part of the former and working on it!

            -Shimaha.

            -------------------

            There are many
            people who Have It Down, and then there are those who are Cranking It Out.

            I hope, someday, to be counted among the former, not the latter.

            http://profiles.msn.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 18, 2000
              Marc Choronzey wrote:

              > With all respects due to Darkheart and the rest, That's exactly what I was
              > saying to my armouring partner!
              >
              > If you make armour(not just japanese); make the armour for the SCA and not a
              > SCA armour with a "period look".

              Actually, wandering around the various armour merchants at Pennsic, I was
              alternately elated and appalled at the quality of the armour. There are many