Re: [SCA-JML] Screen Dais for Royalty

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 30, 2005
      > > (1) Would the wooden base be laquered or stained in Heien times?
      >
      >Black lacquer without exception. Well, almost without exception. <G>

      Red lacquer would most likely be the most prevalent exception. There are a few
      other exceptions in later period of what is a sort of stained wood. However,
      Japnese tend to appreciate unfininished wood a LOT more than Europeans do.

      > > (4) Would a noble use this dais for napping or even nighttime sleeping
      >> as well as daytime lounging?
      >
      >Yes. It's called a "seat of state" often in translation, but it also
      >serves as a
      >sleeping chamber.

      As I recall, there are pictures of them napping on the things.

      > > (5) Are the drapes heavy enough to keep a quiet Fujiwara-hime silent?

      No tantilizing rustle of silk to arouse the affections of guard
      captains? Oh how
      very un-Genji of you!

      | trash by my email filters. |