Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Weapon question

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2005
      Ii-dono,

      For your comment:
      >Ooh! Ooh! A Wookie Goa'uld Ninja Pirate!

      The Shogun, and decorum dictate you commit seppuku.
      My Sci-fi sensabilities are highly offended.

      -Takeda
      (though it did make me and ekat giggle)
    • BamboOni@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
        In a message dated 1/29/2005 5:42:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        camberme@... writes:
        is there any documentation on a Japanese style weapon like a two
        bladed sword?... I.e. Blades on either end of a staff?
        Interestingly enough this came up on the sword forum just the other day here
        is the link

        http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=b212a99a28a87158938d8ec1e0bdf696
        &threadid=46826

        Takebayashi Genpachi

      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
          > is there any documentation on a Japanese style weapon like a two
          > bladed sword?... I.e. Blades on either end of a staff?
          > Interestingly enough this came up on the sword forum just the other
          day here
          > is the link

          http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=b212a99a28a87158938d8ec1e0bdf696
          > &threadid=46826

          That's one of the things I love about this game. Everytime you think
          you've got a clue - *WHAM* comes the clue stick!

          Thought I've seen it all...
          Otagiri
        • Otagiri Tatsuzou
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
            wrote:

            > > is there any documentation on a Japanese style weapon like a two
            > > bladed sword?... I.e. Blades on either end of a staff?
            > > Interestingly enough this came up on the sword forum just the other
            > day here
            > > is the link

            http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=b212a99a28a87158938d8ec1e0bdf696
            > > &threadid=46826
            >
            > That's one of the things I love about this game. Everytime you think
            > you've got a clue - *WHAM* comes the clue stick!

            Wait a minute ... I think that's a doctored photo of what it *might*
            look like.

            Color Me Skeptical
            Otagiri
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
              On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

              > Wait a minute ... I think that's a doctored photo of what it *might*
              > look like.
              >
              > Color Me Skeptical
              > Otagiri

              That's what I was wondering. Even if it isn't doctored, it looks like a
              modern item.

              I was beginning to wonder about vajra (kongo), though.

              http://www.dzogchen.org/library/photos/pix960502/untitled74.jpg

              I believe I've seen simple double-bladed knives. However, it is a
              religious icon. I could see special orders being made, but I doubt it
              would be on any kind of large scale (like something you would hand out to
              the troops--or even a weapon-style that would be greatly taught).

              Here's one attached to a tanto (although it isn't really much of a weapon,
              but rather a decoration).

              http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/unji.htm

              -Ii
            • Otagiri Tatsuzou
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
                > That's what I was wondering. Even if it isn't doctored, it looks
                like a
                > modern item.
                >
                > I was beginning to wonder about vajra (kongo), though.
                >
                > http://www.dzogchen.org/library/photos/pix960502/untitled74.jpg
                >
                > I believe I've seen simple double-bladed knives. However, it is a
                > religious icon. I could see special orders being made, but I doubt it
                > would be on any kind of large scale (like something you would hand
                out to
                > the troops--or even a weapon-style that would be greatly taught).
                >
                > Here's one attached to a tanto (although it isn't really much of a
                weapon,
                > but rather a decoration).
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/unji.htm

                Ii-dono,

                You read the deleted portions of my post! But I could not recall the
                name and after rereading the the Sword forum list, I did not think
                that that is what they were looking at, but who can say?

                Otagiri
              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
                  On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                  > Ii-dono,
                  >
                  > You read the deleted portions of my post! But I could not recall the
                  > name and after rereading the the Sword forum list, I did not think
                  > that that is what they were looking at, but who can say?

                  Sorry, I'm not sure if you mean the stuff I posted (which was more to the
                  question of double bladed Japanese weapons), or if you mean the picture in
                  the thread. The picture is the part that I wonder about, but I don't
                  believe that is what they were discussing (rather, it was someone's
                  attempt to show what he thought was being discussed--if that makes any
                  sense).

                  -Ii
                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2005
                    The weapon pictured there looks completely useless. For one thing,
                    without tsuba if you tried to thrust with it your hand would slide
                    onto your own blade, and I can't think of many other cuts you could
                    make without simultaneously gutting yourself.

                    Giving it the benefit of a doubt, maybe meant to be used one side at
                    a time with the other blade sheathed, like a nagamaki with 2 blade
                    lengths to choose between?
                  • Donald Luby
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2005
                      On Jan 29, 2005, at 7:40 PM, Ii Saburou wrote:

                      > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:
                      >
                      >> Does Star Wars count as documentation? I'm pretty sure that Darth Maul
                      >> used a similar weapon.*
                      >> http://sfstory.free.fr/images/StarWarsWallpapers/
                      >> starwars1_16_1024x768.jpg
                      >
                      > Well, first ignore that Star Wars is about "A Long Time Ago..." (If
                      > they
                      > had spaceships, they could have made it to Mediaeval Europe!). Star
                      > Wars
                      > is the story of Darth Vader. Darth Vader's costume (and much of the
                      > earlier Star Wars movies) were based on movies like "Throne of Blood".
                      > "Throne of Blood" was done in the style of "Jidai-geki", or period
                      > Japanese films.

                      At the Star Wars exhibit at the National Air and Space museum a few
                      years ago, there were the original sketches for the costumes, and the
                      original Jedi outfits (only Obi-Wan in 'Star Wars', of course) were
                      obviously kamishimo, to anyone who knew Japanese costuming.

                      As an added datum for how much Kurosawa influenced Lucas, Alec Guiness
                      was not first choice for Obi-Wan; it was Toshiro Mifune ...

                      > "Jidai-geki" films cover from the beginning of Japan
                      > until well-past the 1600 cutoff date, therefore it covers period.
                      > Therefore... *
                      >

                      > -Ii
                      >
                      > *Note: this is joke documentation done in response to previous joke
                      > documentation. Any who use this as actual documentation shall be found
                      > and given long and boring lectures on the appropriateness of using Star
                      > Wars to document anything--then you shall be sued for plagiarism since
                      > yous shouldn't be copying someone else's documentation as your own,
                      > even
                      > if it is done as a joke. ;)

                      Koredono