[SCA-JML] Re: kanji and romanji

  • akimoya
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
      On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

      > Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...

      Hey, when you're good, you're good.

      And speaking of beating, does anyone have documentation on period torture
      techniques? Is hojojitsu period? How about so-called japanese "rope
      bondage"?

      Akimoya
      Ealdormere
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
        Ogami Itto wrote:

        > Is it just me, or am I the only person that ever brings much of
        > anything up these days? Huh.

        Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...

        Yes. <G>

        Hiraizumi/Effingham

        Personally, I'm just waiting for any of you to bring up something civilized.
        You know, like the crisp colour of a robe newly-dyed with safflower... ;)

        Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
          akimoya wrote:

          > On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
          >
          > > Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...
          >
          > Hey, when you're good, you're good.
          >
          > And speaking of beating, does anyone have documentation on period torture
          > techniques? Is hojojitsu period? How about so-called japanese "rope
          > bondage"?

          Pretty much...

          Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
          really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
          days.

          The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
          had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

          Hiraizumi/Effingham
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
            Hi.

            I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
            last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
            calligraphy.

            Rope ties were (and to some extent still are) a high art form
            in Japan. I bought a really nice book at Kinokuniya once that
            dealt exclusively with knots. (Unfortunately, it may have
            perished in one of the floods.)

            | techie.com |
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > Hi.
              >
              > I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
              > last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
              > calligraphy.

              Is that the one with the sumo-ban type face, a few interesting seal faces,
              and the nice calligraphy faces? I've got that one myself. Great package,
              with some nice fonts. It came in very handy in preparing some handouts in
              my Japanese pedagogy class. <G>

              Effingham/Hiraizumi
            • BamboOni@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
                In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, akimoya@...
                writes:

                > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                >
                > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
                >
                > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
                > > be really cool.
                >
                > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
                >
                > Akimoya
                > Ealdormere

                I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two different
                computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???

                Oni
              • akimoya
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
                  On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                  > Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
                  > really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
                  > days.

                  I don't suppose you have any references...

                  > The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
                  > had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

                  So I have heard aserted.

                  Akimoya
                  Ealdormere
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
                    Baron Edward!

                    It is the "dynafont" set priced at 12,000Y (It was marked at $95.00 and
                    I think I got it for less than that, but it's still worth every penny at
                    $95.00.)
                    It has a font called heiseimincho, a gyosho font, and other neat stuff.
                    I am still after a couple of Japanese fonts, but finding stuff of this
                    sort outside of Japan is pretty amazing. I think that there is a Sumo
                    ban typeface in the second disk, but it is not shown on the back of the
                    box. RFNum117 looks like it might be a Sumo-ban font. (Unfortunately,
                    the booklet only shows the numerals and few special signs. I don't feel
                    like installing the font just to find out.)

                    I still want fonts for several of the old-style character styles which
                    I have forgotten the names of (at least some of them). Unfortunately,
                    my best calligraphy manual (which had all of this stuff in it)
                    dissappeared at Pennsic several years ago along with two rings. I
                    hope that whoever has them has at least found a use for them and has
                    not just thrown them out due to being mean.

                    Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                    Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                    Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                    | techie.com |
                  • akimoya
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 30, 2000
                      On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                      > Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                      > Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                      I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find the East Kingdom Chronicler,
                      and ask them to look for your article; they're certain to have back issues
                      archived somewhere.

                      Akimoya
                      Ealdormere
                    • Ogami Itto
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                        bamboon-@... wrote:
                        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sca-jml/?start=182
                        > In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        akimoya@...
                        > writes:
                        >
                        > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                        > >
                        > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
                        > >
                        > > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that
                        would
                        > > > be really cool.
                        > >
                        > > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
                        > >
                        > > Akimoya
                        > > Ealdormere
                        >
                        > I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two
                        different
                        > computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???
                        >
                        > Oni

                        I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                        computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                        And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                        asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                        anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                        votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                        Ogami Itto
                      • Kass McGann
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                          I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                          computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                          And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                          asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                          anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                          votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                          Ogami Itto

                          Personally, I don't mind your questions, Ogami-wake. If you didn't ask
                          something, I fear the list would be totally quiet.

                          I just wish you guys would talk about something other than weapons
                          sometimes... ;)

                          Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
                        • Joshua Badgley
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                            On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                            > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                            > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                            > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                            > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                            >
                            > Ogami Itto

                            I love it when people ask questions, and my apologies if I cannot always
                            answer them. Please, continue asking questions!

                            Godric Logan
                            aka Joshua Badgley
                          • BamboOni@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                              In a message dated 1/31/00 9:12:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              shubnigurath@... writes:

                              > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                              > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                              > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                              > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                              >
                              > Ogami Itto

                              By no means.... You are just asking questions before I think to ask them.....

                              Oni
                            • akimoya
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                                > > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                                > > >
                                > > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                > I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                                > computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                                Try the US server at:

                                http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                Akimoya
                                Ealdormere
                              • Jordan Malokofsky
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                  Ogami Itto wrote:
                                  > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                                  > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                                  > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                                  > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                                  And if you're the only one asking questions and stop, then this list
                                  wouldn't be good for very much with no postings, would it? I vote for
                                  your continued questions.

                                  Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
                                  <There is an exception to every rule.>

                                  Jordan Malokofsky - Mundane
                                  Tatsuki Akira - SCA
                                  Sir Pip - Cyberspace Avatar
                                  http://www.malokofsky.ann-arbor.mi.us
                                • akimoya
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                    On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, akimoya wrote:

> [...]

                                    I just discovered that they've changed the domain name at the Canadian
                                    Server for the J-E Dictionary; it is now:

                                    http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                    Akimoya
                                    Ealdormere
                                  • BamboOni@aol.com