Re: [SCA-JML] Yamabushi armor?!

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2005
      On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, mokurai wrote:

      > mistaken. More to the point, Yamabushi is a term for a type of esoteric
      > monk/sect. I can not recall an account of them actually fighting.
      > Rather, they were/are warriors against the elements of nature, as it
      > were, who perform great feats of endurance as trials which aid in the
      > pursuit of enlightenment. They carry a symbolic sword, but that's it.

      I wondered if it wasn't made to _look_ like a yamabushi. It wouldn't be
      the first such armour I've seen. Perhaps it was someone who had 'taken
      vows' and 'retired' in that semi-retired state that Sengoku daimyo were so
      fond of.

      As for the sode, I'd defer to someone more knowledgable, such as
      Hiraizumi-dono, but it seems to me that it might be one of those attempts
      that people tried and probably didn't make the cut for most people.

      I'm not sure if 'Yamabushi' is necessarily correct, though, and it may
      have just been a pious samurai who wanted everyone to know it.