new person hear hi

  • lee
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2005
      hi i just joind this group and would like to say hi to every one im
      looking to make friends that like samurai history and making samuri
      armour i have been using anthony J bryants site to plan my armour
      out i have been doing chain mail for two years and want to make
      samurai armour and woulike to meat peapole that are part of the sca
      near the york pa area to i live the bushido life style i would like
      to make samurai armour making a home bisness some time soon to help
      pay bill grrrr lol
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 25, 2005
        > hi i just joind this group and would like to say hi to every one im
        > looking to make friends that like samurai history and making samuri
        > armour i have been using anthony J bryants site to plan my armour
        > out i have been doing chain mail for two years and want to make
        > samurai armour and woulike to meat peapole that are part of the sca
        > near the york pa area

        Hello Lee!

        Welcome to our group. I saw that you are interested in making Japanese
        armour and saw that your profile picture shows someone wearing armor.
        From what little I could see, it looks well done. Please forgive my
        directness, but ... Is that you? Is that your armour? Is that armour
        that you have made?

        Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Kenin of the Hatakeyama
        Squire to Sir Nicholas DeKane
        http://tousando.proboards18.com
      • anthony arva
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 26, 2005
          thank you for writing me no thats not me i have been doing chain mail for 6 years now and want to make my own samurai armour and hope to be able to join the sca i have done some armor that is based on english style thow but latly i have been lernig to make samurai armour but i dont work so its hard to buy my saplys to make it i would like to start a bisness making samurai armour and selling it i have a full black smith shop in my basement i have a reative that did the armour for the last samurai movie and has given me tips and i have been using a site on the web that tels you how to make it i also have alot of penpals frome japan that help me i know there is a sca group near me but i cant aford it be case of a dissabilty i have my hus bills are payed by the state so i never have mony i can use for any thing so its hard for me butif i could find away to sell my chainmail then i could probly be abel to do it but agen i cant afor a web site or a computer i have to use a libry computer
          to get my mail thank you agen for writing and i hope you hae a good day

        • mattfmcti
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 26, 2005
            Katai na Itoko (Honorable Cousin)!

            Welcome, Anthony! Our hope is that you will find the information you
            seek here, and feel free to ask questions. However, and I hate to
            nitpik, but frankly, your first post was very difficult to read and
            follow. Please, we would ask that you, at the bare minimum, use proper
            English punctuation, or do the best you can. While the Net is a rather
            informal medium, you will get more and higher quality responses to
            your posts if they are legible. Stream of consciousness may make for
            good literature, but it makes for hard-to-read posts. Again, we
            welcome you! :)

            Fujiwara Takaharu
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 27, 2005
              Welcome!

              I'm sure there are plenty here who would be glad to help you with armour
              questions. Please, what are the sites you mentioned you were using?

              I would also point out, in reference to the following note:
              > English punctuation, or do the best you can. While the Net is a rather
              > informal medium, you will get more and higher quality responses to
              > your posts if they are legible. Stream of consciousness may make for

              I did a search the other day for 'online spellcheckers'. I know how
              rushed it can be in a public library, sometimes, and so I found the
              following helpful resources:
              1. www.spellcheck.net
              2. spellex.com/spellcheck.htm

              There were more, but those were the only two I tried. I find that better
              spelling helps more people read through the message and gets a better
              response, in general.

              However, please don't let any of that put you off. We are not here to be
              grammar police, and if you have questions or comments, please feel free to
              share!

              I'd also note that money shouldn't be an issue for participating with the
              local SCA in your area--while there is a membership fee, as long as you
              can make it to meetings and get togethers, you are usually okay. If you
              have a serious problem with finances, talk it over with your local
              chatelaine and explain what is going on. They may be able to find some
              way of accomodating your situation.

              -Ii
            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 27, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ii Saburou <logan@m...> wrote:

                > I'd also note that money shouldn't be an issue for participating
                with the
                > local SCA in your area--while there is a membership fee, as long as you
                > can make it to meetings and get togethers, you are usually okay.

                Depending on what level of activity you want to participate in, you
                may not even have to be a member. (Guys, is membership required to
                fight or does he just have to sign a waiver?) However, non-members
                currently have to pay a $3 on top of any fee charged for attending an
                event, so if you decide you want to go to a lot of events, the
                membership fee will pay for itself.

                Ii-dono is correct. Find your local group (I believe you said you were
                in York, PA, which, I think, is Owl's Reste in the East Kingdom - you
                should be able to find contact info at http://www.eastkingdom.org )
                Go to a meeting or two, talk to the chatelaine (newcomer liaison) and
                they can tell you more about how things work in your part of the SCA
                world.

                Makiwara
              • ladypyrate@charter.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 27, 2005

                  > From: "makiwara_no_yetsuko" <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...>
                  > Date: 2005/01/27 Thu AM 10:20:17 EST
                  > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: hi

                  I belive the membership/fighting issue is a kingdom to kingdom decision. Here in Atlantia they changed the rules a little over a year ago to where you do not have to have a membership to fight, but you must sign a waiver and pay a dollar each time you do fight at an event. Of course, IIRC, it was said that Atlantia was one of the few Kingdoms that you had to have proof of membership in order to fight.

                  Meadhbh
                  Barony of Nottinghill Coill

                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2005
                    Noble Cousins!

                    Greetings from Solveig! Very technically, the $3.00 fee surcharge is charged on
                    non-discounted site fees. So, if your group decides upon a class of people to
                    take less money from, then you don't have to charge these people the $3.00
                    fee either.

                    | trash by my email filters. |
                  • Ii Saburou
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2005
                      On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Solveig wrote:

                      > Noble Cousins!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig! Very technically, the $3.00 fee surcharge is
                      > charged on non-discounted site fees. So, if your group decides upon a
                      > class of people to take less money from, then you don't have to charge
                      > these people the $3.00 fee either. --

                      Although people should note that a) if they discount all non-members, then
                      the members are going to get a little upset (why am *I* paying so I can
                      pay more?) and if they discount everybody then it is no longer a discount.

                      -Ii
                    • Armando
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 25, 2006
                        Hello. I just decided today that I should go for a late period
                        Japanese persona instead of a roman persona. I found a few websites
                        that really helped me out with the japanese armor. I still am curious
                        about the helms. can anyone help me find someone who makes custom
                        (accurate) japanese kabutos so i can get a quote. much thanks.

                        Armando
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006

                          > Hello. I just decided today that I should go for a late period
                          > Japanese persona instead of a roman persona. I found a few websites
                          > that really helped me out with the japanese armor. I still am curious
                          > about the helms. can anyone help me find someone who makes custom
                          > (accurate) japanese kabutos so i can get a quote. much thanks.
                          Are you looking for historically accurate or a list legal helmet
                          which is made
                          to look pretty accurate?

                        • armando miccoli
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006
                            list legal. i am talking to the guy from black hydra armouries about making a kabuto for me. do you know if he is good or not. all of his work I have seen so far is good and everybody speaks well of him. what is your opinion?

                            Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousin!

                            Greetings from Solveig!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006
                              Armando,

                              Welcome!

                              If you are looking for a Kabuto (both the singular and the plural of most japanese words are the same... no need to add an "s") you can do no better than one by Black Hydra Armories

                              http://www.blackhydraarmouries.com/Base/myhome.htm

                              -Takeda
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006

                                > If you are looking for a Kabuto (both the singular and the plural
                                > of most japanese words are the same... no need to add an "s") you
                                > can do no better than one by Black Hydra Armories

                                While the Black Hydra people are inexpensive, I think that you are
                                likely to be happier if you can talk Ogami or one of his assistants
                                into making a helmet for you. You can also follow the plans which are
                                posted. Here is an example of a recent helmet.

                                http://www.yamakaminari.com/

                                Please note that the Black Hydra people are currently only selling
                                stock items, so you would have to buy one of their jingasa. I think
                                that you will probably feel better with a fancier helmet.
                                Incidentally, the horns in the picture are held on with magnets and
                                are removable. The helmet itself is list legal.

                              • armando miccoli
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006
                                  i was talking to the guy from black hydra armories and he said he didnt consider a kabuto a "custom order" and he would do one for me. by ogami, do you mean ogamibusho on these boards? is ther any particular website for me to look at some of his work. thank you.

                                  Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousin!

                                  Greetings from Solveig!

                                  > If you are looking for a Kabuto (both the singular and the plural
                                  > of most japanese words are the same... no need to add an "s") you
                                  > can do no better than one by Black Hydra Armories

                                  While the Black Hydra people are inexpensive, I think that you are
                                  likely to be happier if you can talk Ogami or one of his assistants
                                  into making a helmet for you. You can also follow the plans which are
                                  posted. Here is an example of a recent helmet.

                                  http://www.yamakaminari.com/

                                  Please note that the Black Hydra people are currently only selling
                                  stock items, so you would have to buy one of their jingasa. I think
                                  that you will probably feel better with a fancier helmet.
                                  Incidentally, the horns in the picture are held on with magnets and
                                  are removable. The helmet itself is list legal.

                                • Michael Peters
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006
                                    All,

                                    I guess I need to reword my site. I *do* take orders and have a queue. I
                                    don't consider most kabuto custom. Standard items that, should life fall on
                                    the customer, I can sell to someone else are not custom. A Nio dou for
                                    someone 6'4" 275# would be a custom.

                                    Kurodachi no Mykaru
                                    Black Hydra Armouries

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 26, 2006
                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, armando miccoli <asmiv@...> wrote:

                                      > list legal. i am talking to the guy from black hydra armouries about
                                      making a kabuto for me. do you know if he is good or not. all of his
                                      work I have seen so far is good and everybody speaks well of him. what
                                      is your opinion?

                                      Good is an understatement. His stuff is exquisite. It looks like the
                                      real thing.

                                      Saionji no Hanae
                                      West
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 27, 2006

                                        > i was talking to the guy from black hydra armories and he said he
                                        > didnt consider a kabuto a "custom order" and he would do one for
                                        > me. by ogami, do you mean ogamibusho on these boards? is ther any
                                        > particular website for me to look at some of his work. thank you.

                                        > http://www.yamakaminari.com/

                                        The helmet in the photo was made by Ogami.