Re: [SCA-JML] Choosing a Name

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
      Lisa McNeil wrote:

      > Can someone point me in the right direction for finding examples of
      > period female Japanese names?
      >
      > Specifically, I am trying to find when the name "Kameko" or "Kameyo"
      > would have first been used. But I will need other options if I
      > cannot locate that information.

      Milisandia-dono:

      I looked these names up in Solveig's pamplet (_Name Construction in
      Medieval Japan_). Kameko ("little turtle?") is not listed under
      historical female names. Kameyo ("turtle evening") is listed, Momoyama
      period, 1428. Other turtle names are Kame ("turtle") and Kamematsu
      ("turtle pine")(both Kamakura period, 1332) and Kametsuru ("turtle
      crane") in 1392.

      Hope that helps.

      Writing from my home overlooking the (nearly-frozen) Great River,

      Ki no Torahime

      Riverwatch, Calontir