Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Question about a new weapon

  • Arthur Raymond
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2005
      >From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>
      >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Question about a new weapon
      >Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 08:04:36 -0900 (AKST)
      >

      >On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:
      >
      > > While I have little knowledge of jitte myself, perhaps this book would
      > > be of use:
      > >
      > > Taihojutsu: Law and Order in the Age of the Samurai
      > > Don Cunningham
      > > ISBN 0804835365
      > >
      >http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0804835365
      >
      >I'm curious what the opinions are about this book. At first glance it
      >seems well-written and researched, though it is out of my core knowledge
      >area, being mostly about Edo period practices.
      >
      >I was led to understand that the techniques shown are broad examples taken
      >from different schools, although not necessarily labelled as such. The
      >author also wrote a book "The Secret Weapons of Jujitsu", which seemed
      >more suspect.
      >
      >I'm just wondering what others think and if they know how legitimate his
      >research is.
      >
      >-Ii

      Personally I think the jitte is a wonderful weapon. I've used on for a few
      years as an off hand weapon. I use mine only as a sword catcher and
      thrusting weapon. The marshals have told me the prongs make using it as a
      club potetially dangerous. This could be a result of how mine is
      constructed.
      The "Helmet Splitter" is a variation of the jitte. It has a sharp blade on
      the end where the jitte has a simple point. For a picture see Arms and
      Armour of the Samurai. The large hard-backed one. Im sorry, but I forget the
      author.
      Good luck with your testing of this fun toy ;)

      In Service,
      Togashi Ichiro