Japanese textbooks at Harvard

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2005
      Extension
      JAPA E-1
      Nakama 1 - Close to $90 bucks, it better be great!!!
      Nakama 1: Workbook/Laboratory Manual - $45
      No kanji? Kana.

      JAPA E-2
      Might use same book as above.
      60 Kanji

      JAPA E-30 AKA #3
      Nakama 1 - Close to $90 bucks, it better be great!!!
      Nakama 1: Workbook/Laboratory Manual - $45
      Nakama 2 - Close to $90 bucks, it better be great!!!
      Nakama 2: Workbook/Laboratory Manual - $45
      100 kanji

      General description of Harvard Japanese language program, I couldn't
      find any course syllabus :(
      http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~jlp/overview.html

      I did find some of the summer courses:
      http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:aqjPIq169SEJ:www.summer.harvard.edu/2004/syllabi/30053/japas103.pdf+harvard+intermediate+japanese+II+syllabus&hl=en

      Here's a link to the authors of Nakama website:
      http://www.uiowa.edu/~japanese/NAKAMA/

      Could not find any decent previews though!

      Jim Eckman
    • Booknerd9@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@c...> wrote:

        Ah, I think I can help here. Nakama is the textbook series used in my Japanese course
        at school. Of course, it's the only attempt at learning Japanese I've embarked on so I
        can't comment on how it stacks up to other textbooks and other courses. However, if
        you'd like syllabus or the sort, I can see what I can dig up from my class or get for
        you off of the class website to look at.
        The workbook annoyed the hell out of me. Well, the first part was ok, but the
        listening practice set my teeth on edge and I loathed doing it- possibly because I
        wasn't very good at (nor have I ever been) oral/audio drills. The last straw was that I
        had to go online and log in to the course website every time I had to do an excercise.
        (Luckily, one of my classmates had pulled off all the audio exercises onto a CD, yay!)
        In one semester, we covered chapters 1-7, including the kanji in chapter 7.
        So, if you have any questions about Nakama, drop me a line.