Books on Samurai Armour Making

  • randall_shughart
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
      Any recommendations?
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shughart"
        <randall_shughart@y...> wrote:

        > Any recommendations?

        Welcome Randall!

        I have reviews of a few books at the following site:
        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=media

        If you read Japanese, get books by Sasama.

        The following list is from the SCA-JML FAQ. The Sengokudaimyo site is
        the by far the most useful single source for armor.

        # Japanese Armour

        1. The Nihon Katchuu Seisakuban: An Online Japanese Armour Manual
        by AJ Bryant has detailed information on the construction of Japanese
        armour. You can find it at http://sengokudaimyo.com
        2. The Yama Kaminari site has some information by Sir Ogami Akira
        on making SCA legal Japanese armour. You can find it at
        http://www.nb.net/~kmeg/kaminari/
        3. The Tanki Yoriaku is an annotated eighteenth century arming
        guide. You can find it at http://rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku

        Hope these help
        Otagiri
      • John Lyon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
          The Big book of Japanese Armor is a very good one. It was compiled by
          Minamoto Goro Kumatoro (aka Eric Haverburg) based on source work from
          Anthony J. Bryant, Stephen Turnbull, Ivan J. Bottomley, Gold Run Research
          Group, and Stan Sakai. It is about 177 pages, lots of details covering
          everything from soup to nuts.It's focus is on the creation of accurate armor
          for SCA heavy combat. I don't know where you can get it. I have an
          electronic copy but I am not sure of copyright issues. I also have Eric's
          email address, he just moved out to california. Drop me a line if that would
          be helpful.

          "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
          things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I
          take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
          -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

          John Lyon
          aka The Ugly Dragon

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005

            Greetings from Solveig! I am rather a fan of Gakken books myself. No, it's
            very unlikely that Osprey will ever produce books like the Gakken books.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • Otagiri Tatsuzou
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
              > AJ Bryant wrote:
              > Well, since I don't recall giving anyone permissions like that...

              This may interest you as well.
              http://www.wholesaleknives.co.uk/japanese_armour_information.htm

              --ron
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
                John Lyon wrote:

                > The Big book of Japanese Armor is a very good one. It was compiled by
                > Minamoto Goro Kumatoro (aka Eric Haverburg) based on source work from
                > Anthony J. Bryant, Stephen Turnbull, Ivan J. Bottomley, Gold Run Research
                > Group, and Stan Sakai. It is about 177 pages, lots of details covering
                > everything from soup to nuts.It's focus is on the creation of accurate armor
                > for SCA heavy combat. I don't know where you can get it. I have an
                > electronic copy but I am not sure of copyright issues. I also have Eric's
                > email address, he just moved out to california. Drop me a line if that would
                > be helpful.

                Well, since I don't recall giving anyone permissions like that...

                I'd rather like to see a copy.

                Anthony J. Bryant
                Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

                Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
                http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
              • Anthony Bryant
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
                  Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                  >>AJ Bryant wrote:
                  >>Well, since I don't recall giving anyone permissions like that...
                  >>

                  > This may interest you as well.
                  > http://www.wholesaleknives.co.uk/japanese_armour_information.htm

                  Yeah, thanks for that. I was waiting to hear back some results before responding
                  on it. I've sent them an e-mail, and this is what came back:

                  "I Have never seen your website, Your website is not the only one on the net
                  carrying these images, Permission was asked by the donor site before placing the
                  images on this website."

                  Hm. So I pointed out that I actually did do them, and asked him to check through
                  his files and find out where they got them. I'm waiting to hear back.

                  Anthony J. Bryant
                  Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

                  Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
                  http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
                • Kita Jiru Toramassa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 23, 2005
                    I must apologize, My friend is a student of Japanese history and as a
                    research project compiled what seemed to me a pretty comprehensive
                    book on the creation of SCA grade combat armor. As I mentioned he
                    gives full attributions for his sources and it was never published.
                    When I began to do japanese he offered me a copy to help me build the
                    armor. It has never been published and to the best of my knowledge
                    there exist only 2 copies, his original with editing marks and mine. I
                    thought he was going to do more with it or had contacted Mr. Bryant or
                    others and I was mistaken. I apologize for an confusion or distress I
                    have caused. Mr Bryant if you would like to speak with me regarding
                    this matter I would be happy to do so and make whatever repirations
                    you would ask. If you would like I can send you my hard copy.

                    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:23:29 -0600, Anthony Bryant
                    <ajbryant@...> wrote:

                    > Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:
                    >

                    > >>AJ Bryant wrote:
                    > >>Well, since I don't recall giving anyone permissions like that...
                    > >>

                    > > This may interest you as well.
                    > > http://www.wholesaleknives.co.uk/japanese_armour_information.htm
                    >
                    > Yeah, thanks for that. I was waiting to hear back some results before responding
                    > on it. I've sent them an e-mail, and this is what came back:
                    >
                    > "I Have never seen your website, Your website is not the only one on the net
                    > carrying these images, Permission was asked by the donor site before placing the
                    > images on this website."
                    >
                    > Hm. So I pointed out that I actually did do them, and asked him to check through
                    > his files and find out where they got them. I'm waiting to hear back.
                    >
                    > Effingham
                    > --
                    >
                    > Anthony J. Bryant
                    > Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
                    >
                    > Effingham's Heraldic Avatars (...and stuff):
                    > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
                    >
                    > Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
                    > http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder

                    > What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
                    > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/PJ_qlB/TM

                    "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                    things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them? So, now I
                    take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
                    -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

                    John Lyon
                    aka The Ugly Dragon
                    aka Kita Jiru Toramassa