A thought experiment...

  • mattfmcti
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
      Katai na Itoko!

      I had an interesting thought the other day. Why were the Japanese not
      bitten by the colonization bug the way the Europeans were? If the
      Tokugawas had not banned ocean going vessels, it's interesting to
      think how different the Far East would be, and possibly the Americas,
      as it's not to far of a stretch to envision an expedition heading
      north across the Bering Sea in the late Spring and sailing down the
      West Coast. Just something to bat around in one's head...^_^

      Fujiwara Takaharu
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
        > I had an interesting thought the other day. Why were the Japanese not
        > bitten by the colonization bug the way the Europeans were? If the
        > Tokugawas had not banned ocean going vessels, it's interesting to
        > think how different the Far East would be, and possibly the Americas,
        > as it's not to far of a stretch to envision an expedition heading
        > north across the Bering Sea in the late Spring and sailing down the
        > West Coast. Just something to bat around in one's head...^_^
        >
        > Fujiwara Takaharu

        Fujiwara-dono

        The Japanese tried the empire thing in the 1590s. They started with
        Korea. The plan was to go on into northern China. They got stopped by
        pretty much the same set of strategic reasons that stopped the US in
        the 1950s. It takes a whole lot of men and a whole lot of dedication
        to invade and occupy China.

        Some Japanese did end up in the Phillipines. I wish I knew more about
        their story.

        Otagiri
      • Booknerd9@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
          > The Japanese tried the empire thing in the 1590s. They started with
          > Korea. The plan was to go on into northern China.

          Didn't the Japanese give this path of imperialism another try in the
          early 20th century, sending the military into parts of China
          (Manchuria? Or am I off) and Korea? Ok, ok, not Period.
          Actually, I think there's a lot of information about the large sea-
          faring enterprises of China (can't recall the exact time period). I
          know there's a book called "1421: The Year the Chinese Discovered
          America" but the author's theory is very very weak.

          Sorry I'm rambling a bit; I guess that's the nature of the thought
          experiment.
        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
            Booknerd9@... wrote:

            > > The Japanese tried the empire thing in the 1590s. They started with
            > > Korea. The plan was to go on into northern China.
            >
            > Didn't the Japanese give this path of imperialism another try in the
            > early 20th century, sending the military into parts of China
            > (Manchuria? Or am I off) and Korea? Ok, ok, not Period.
            > Actually, I think there's a lot of information about the large sea-
            > faring enterprises of China (can't recall the exact time period). I
            > know there's a book called "1421: The Year the Chinese Discovered
            > America" but the author's theory is very very weak.
            >
            > Sorry I'm rambling a bit; I guess that's the nature of the thought
            > experiment.

            No, I think that's the way this thing is supposed to work. I remember
            being somewhat confused by reading in one place that the Japanese
            typically didn't go much beyond the seas immediately surrounding their
            islands as this was not their strong point. I know they did invade
            Korea on several occasions...in fact, they brought Korean potters back
            to Japan on at least two of those ventures. And, of course, there is
            that empire-building venture in the mid-Twentieth century. But what
            confused me is that I've also read accounts, can't remember where, about
            shards of Japanese pottery being found in the Americas. If they weren't
            great sea farers, how did they get to the Americas? By accident?

            Kiri
          • Booknerd9@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...>
              wrote:
              But what
              > confused me is that I've also read accounts, can't remember where,
              about
              > shards of Japanese pottery being found in the Americas. If they
              weren't
              > great sea farers, how did they get to the Americas? By accident?
              >
              > Kiri

              Well, it could have been through a series of middle-men. Japanese
              pottery gets traded to China or to local Europeans (most likely the
              Dutch or Portugese), these items get traded to the Middle Eastern
              traders (via China) or by that route or another, wind up in Europe.
              I guess the wares could have gotten picked up by some globe-trotting
              group and one shipwreck later (or a dropped box of some sea-farers
              treasured items), you've got some pottery named Shobu washing up on
              the shores of the Americas.
              In this case, the date could range wildly, as who says the traders
              wanted fresh from the kiln work? They might have been in the market
              for some antiques.
              Or, the pottery just sort of plopped into the Sea of Japan by itself
              and got taken by the currents to California or something. I'd need
              some more information on currents though.
              I did find an article online[1] that mentions the Japanese pottery
              fragments in the Americas but I'm going to say the case of the
              Buddhist monk on a Mexican vacation is most likely made up (after
              all, folktales can be misinterpreted as true stories, etc. such as
              in the case of Atlantis.) I'm skeptical...

              [1]http://www.millersv.edu/~columbus/papers/wrhagen.html
            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 Booknerd9@... wrote:

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
                >> But what confused me is that I've also read accounts, can't remember
                >> where, about shards of Japanese pottery being found in the Americas.
                >> If they weren't great sea farers, how did they get to the Americas?
                >> By accident?
                >>
                >> Kiri
                >
                > Well, it could have been through a series of middle-men. Japanese
                > pottery gets traded to China or to local Europeans (most likely the
                > Dutch or Portugese), these items get traded to the Middle Eastern
                > traders (via China) or by that route or another, wind up in Europe.

                There also appears to have been trade up through Alaska--it is forseeable
                that an item could follow trade routes around the Pacific Rim--Japan
                traded with Korea and China, they probably traded with people along the
                Siberian coast, who traded with the Aleutian islands, who traded with the
                Inuit and Athabaskans, etc. This is all theory--some even suspect that
                the Chinese themselves made it to North America ("1421: The Year China
                Discovered America")--but we do know that some Chinese artifacts made it
                to British Columbia (coins) which were incorporated into local crafts.

                There is also talk about a Jomon pottery in Equador, but I find this claim
                much much more suspicious--I'd be more inclined to say that it developed
                independently than to think that early Japanese crossed the Pacific ocean
                with regular frequency but we only find the evidence in Ecuador. Of
                course, once you have cord-marked pottery in Ecuador, I would assume that
                any other instances in the Americas would probably be the result of trade.

                -Ii
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                  Ii Saburou wrote:

                  > There also appears to have been trade up through Alaska--it is forseeable
                  > that an item could follow trade routes around the Pacific Rim--Japan
                  > traded with Korea and China, they probably traded with people along the
                  > Siberian coast, who traded with the Aleutian islands, who traded with the
                  > Inuit and Athabaskans, etc. This is all theory--some even suspect that
                  > the Chinese themselves made it to North America ("1421: The Year China
                  > Discovered America")--but we do know that some Chinese artifacts made it
                  > to British Columbia (coins) which were incorporated into local crafts.
                  >
                  > There is also talk about a Jomon pottery in Equador, but I find this
                  > claim
                  > much much more suspicious--I'd be more inclined to say that it developed
                  > independently than to think that early Japanese crossed the Pacific ocean
                  > with regular frequency but we only find the evidence in Ecuador. Of
                  > course, once you have cord-marked pottery in Ecuador, I would assume that
                  > any other instances in the Americas would probably be the result of trade.
                  >
                  > -Ii

                  It's this last one that I referred to...I ran across this when taking an
                  archaeology course while working on my M.A. Evidently the pottery has
                  been found as far north as South Carolina, or so the claim went. I seem
                  to vaguely remember ( you know...one of those pesky little facts that
                  seems to tie up valuable brain cells) a rumor of a Japanese anchor being
                  found somewhere off the West Coast...I think of central America. And
                  all of it had to do with Jomon sailors...yes, it does seem a bit
                  suspicious, but fun to think about!

                  Kiri
                • Booknerd9@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005

                    > It's this last one that I referred to...I ran across this when
                    taking an
                    > archaeology course while working on my M.A. Evidently the pottery
                    has
                    > been found as far north as South Carolina, or so the claim went.
                    > Kiri

                    Well, I don't know if a test like this would work but would the
                    pottery making techniques (i.e. kiln usage, temperature, glazes) and
                    soil/clay composition of Japan be different from that used in
                    Equator? Considering that the article states the pottery was done in
                    the 1950s, when archeological techniques weren't as high-tech as
                    they were now, perhaps "looks like" was good enough. Then again, I
                    know little about archeological methods and my generation, as a
                    whole anyway, tends to look down on anything less advanced than a
                    walkman, lol.

                    But for some good reading as we fly off on a tangent, has anyone
                    here read Guns, Germs and Steel? Pretty interesting, about how some
                    nations become colonizers and others find themselves mowed over. I
                    think in this book, the idea of techniques being discovered more
                    than once was promoted, as many things such as agriculture and
                    writing rose independantly.

                    But hmn, this would make an interesting alternative history novel,
                    where East Asia colonizes the West Coast and Meso-America- how would
                    that have turned out...
                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005

                      >I had an interesting thought the other day. Why were the Japanese not
                      >bitten by the colonization bug the way the Europeans were?

                      They were at various times bitten by the colonization bug. As I recall,
                      in the early 17th century a good portion of Indochina was taken over by
                      a Japanese adventurer, and the Japanese periodically tried to duke it
                      out with China in Korea. The problem was that with China, Korea, and
                      India parked relatively close at hand, the Japanese were not nearly as
                      interested in taking over Indonesia, the Philipines, or East Africa.

                      | trash by my email filters. |
                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                        Kiri Hime!

                        Greetings from Solveig!

                        >But what confused me is that I've also read accounts, can't remember
                        >where, about shards of Japanese pottery being found in the Americas.
                        >If they weren't
                        >great sea farers, how did they get to the Americas? By accident?

                        The Japanese built several large seagoing ships in the early seventeenth
                        century. At least one of them sailed to Neuo Espania (Mexico).

                        As for the Japan Current. Anyone growing up in the Pacific Northwest can
                        tell you about Japanese glass fish floats washing ashore. The Japan Current
                        runs into North America somewhere proximate to Grey's Harbour County,
                        Washington.

                        | trash by my email filters. |
                      • Ellen Davis
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                          > There is also talk about a Jomon pottery in Equador, but I
                          > find this claim
                          > much much more suspicious--I'd be more inclined to say that
                          > it developed
                          > independently than to think that early Japanese crossed the
                          > Pacific ocean
                          > with regular frequency but we only find the evidence in Ecuador. Of
                          > course, once you have cord-marked pottery in Ecuador, I would
                          > assume that
                          > any other instances in the Americas would probably be the
                          > result of trade.
                          >
                          > -Ii

                          The pottery in question is called Valdivia ware and does bear a marked
                          similarity to certain Jomon styles from both Honshu and Kyushu. For a good
                          long time, it was thought to be the earliest pottery in the Americas,
                          leading some scholars to believe that it came about because a bunch of Jomon
                          sailors got shipwrecked on the coast of Ecuador (Japanese pottery, FYI, is
                          some of the-- if not THE-- earliest in the world). Nowadays the
                          "Jomon-Valdivia hypothesis" has pretty much been discredited, but the whole
                          thing is an interesting example of parallel development.

                          (Not to toot my own sho, but I wrote a paper on this whole shebang as part
                          of an American Prehistory class, and I'm posting it to the Files section
                          under "Valdivia.doc". It's a bit technical in places but I thought it might
                          be helpful and/or interesting.)

                          -Aine
                        • Solveig
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                            Ii Dono!

                            Greetings from Solveig! I should also point out that the Haida of Vancouver,
                            Island had large sea going canoes and practed celestial navigation. According
                            to Thor Hyrdahl, the Haida went all sorts of places including Easter Island
                            or some such place. The place with the huge stone statues as I recall.

                            | trash by my email filters. |
                          • Park McKellop
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                              In one of my books, I have a piece of Japanese artwork that shows a 'demon' that taught about certain herbal remedies. It looks like a human from the New Guinea area, or possibly an African pygmy, due to the teeth being filed to points. Definitely 'black', and I think it was more evident an encounter with the NG area than Africa. When I get home, I'll try to pull it out. I rate it as only 'possible' not probable.

                              Why didn't they do the sea exploration thing? Too much empty water to the East? China had most of the coastal trade locked in? Japan was an introspective rather than explorative culture? No idea...

                              Alcyoneus

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2005
                                I think there were shards of pottery found on the western side of SA, that were similar, made with twisted rope designs rolled on the sides. Pretty simple stuff, I don't know that it was so unique that it could only have come from Japan. Pottery isn't my thing, so I haven't studied any (or remembered) of the competing arguments.

                                Alcyoneus

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005
                                  > They were at various times bitten by the colonization bug. As I recall,
                                  > in the early 17th century a good portion of Indochina was taken over by
                                  > a Japanese adventurer, and the Japanese periodically tried to duke it
                                  > out with China in Korea. The problem was that with China, Korea, and
                                  > India parked relatively close at hand, the Japanese were not nearly as
                                  > interested in taking over Indonesia, the Philipines, or East Africa.

                                  I'm getting an image of a man beating his head against a brick
                                  wall...how many ultimately futile expeditions did the Japanese send to
                                  Korea through the ages? One would guess that, with easier pickings
                                  elsewhere, they might have learned to just forget Korea. *The Big
                                  Question* What is the morbid Japanese facination with Korea anyway?
                                  Was it seen as a beach head into China (T'ien Xia...I love Hero, esp.
                                  in Mandarin)? I just finished reading "The Seven Military Classics of
                                  Ancient China" (trans. by Sawyer), and the size of the armies even the
                                  Warring States era kingdoms were able to field was staggering. Was
                                  Japan ever able to field an army of the size needed to conquer China?
                                  It boggles the mind how many troops one would need. It just doesn't
                                  make sense, strategically, to even attempt it. One would think that
                                  the Japanese generals, having studied the various Chinese military
                                  works, would have seen this.

                                  On a side note, I've been studying the various Chinese dynasties. Did
                                  the Japanese transition from the Nara-jidai to the Heian-jidai have
                                  anything to do with the decline of the T'ang, since both happened in
                                  relatively the same time frame, or was the break in diplomatic
                                  relations and cultural ties due to other forces?

                                  Fujiwara Takaharu
                                • John Mooers
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005
                                    Fujiwara-tono,
                                    Hideyoshi was unrealistic in his estimations when using Korea as the on-ramp to China. Some say he was insane when ordering the second (or even first) invasion. The second invasion was more to consolidate Japanese hold on southern Korea than a true invasion of China. If he had truly read and digested the classics he may not have gone into China. Generals vied with each other for glory as much as your average Samurai competed to be the first spear or first over the wall. Date Masamune was the only Daiymo to actually make it into China but didn't stay long. Taking more rice land was always good.
                                    Japan, Korea, and China subjected each other to exchanges of culture, religion, and piracy. Most nations that focus on colonization already have a well consolidated homeland and national government. This did not occur in Japan until the Tokuwaga Bakufu and their initial forays into trade expeditions died when they closed the country to outsiders.
                                    Focus on the "unique and divine" nature of the home islands perhaps made conquest of other lands less attractive. Travel by the relatively primitive native vessels from Japan to the east Indies was dangerous and communication problems made military activities less attractive. Conquest of Korea and Manchuria is far more attractive from an operational and economic perspective. Manchuria and Korea abound in raw materials the way Japan abounds in scenic mountains. A nation with burgeoning population and lack of available land looks to add land, not just resources, and Indonesia has resources but not nearly the land area of Asia.
                                    Then there is the psychological aspect. China as the font of culture and "big brother" in Asia was seen as conquerable. Consider you are a fanatically ambitious Daimyo who cannot be Emperor of Japan since you (a) are born in the wrong family and (b) have no daughter married to the ruling Emperor. You also cannot be Shogun since you are not from the right family...and you REALLY want to be Emperor. You remember that the Mongols conquered China but not Japan. You believe that the Gods raised the kamikaze to defeat the Mongols with their Chinese and Korean lackeys. After being the only guy to unite, decisively, a archipelago of factious warlords you might think anything is possible.
                                    Remember, Alexander just kept conquering until his army mutinied.

                                    Date Genshiro Toshinobu
                                    Yama Kaminari Ryu

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005
                                      On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Solveig wrote:

                                      > Ii Dono!
                                      >
                                      > Greetings from Solveig! I should also point out that the Haida of Vancouver,
                                      > Island had large sea going canoes and practed celestial navigation. According
                                      > to Thor Hyrdahl, the Haida went all sorts of places including Easter Island
                                      > or some such place. The place with the huge stone statues as I recall.

                                      Sounds like you are talking about this:
                                      http://www.users.on.net/~mkfenn/page2.htm

                                      I find some of it interesting because the origin myths given are different
                                      than the ones I learned, which were Tlinget. Also, I saw a lot of stuff
                                      that is questionable or, I believe, outright wrong (e.g. the 'sunken
                                      structures' near Japan are more reasonably natural formations--there was a
                                      great show on this just a few weeks back on Discovery, I believe).

                                      -Ii
                                    • Solveig
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005

                                        Greetings from Solveig! The Japanese were doing a very good job of nibbling
                                        away at China until the U.S. intervened in the late 1930's early 1940's.
                                        Even in August of 1945, the Japanese had an operational army in China with
                                        more a million troops. If memory serves correctly of course.

                                        | trash by my email filters. |
                                      • Solveig
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005

                                          > Hideyoshi was unrealistic in his estimations when using Korea
                                          >as the on-ramp to China. Some say he was insane when ordering the
                                          >second (or even first) invasion. The second invasion was more to
                                          >consolidate Japanese hold on southern Korea than a true invasion of
                                          >China. If he had truly read and digested the classics he may not
                                          >have gone into China. Generals vied with each other for glory as
                                          >much as your average Samurai competed to be the first spear or first
                                          >over the wall. Date Masamune was the only Daiymo to actually make
                                          >it into China but didn't stay long. Taking more rice land was
                                          >always good.

                                          Invading Korea and China was quite rational and a far better alternative
                                          than trying to follow the example of the Minamoto following the Genpei War.
                                          Basically, the Japanese had raised huge armies which expected loot. Not
                                          to mention the large number off defeated soldiers who needed someplace to
                                          go.

                                          > Focus on the "unique and divine" nature of the home islands
                                          >perhaps made conquest of other lands less attractive. Travel by the
                                          >relatively primitive native vessels from Japan to the east Indies
                                          >was dangerous and communication problems made military activities
                                          >less attractive. Conquest of Korea and Manchuria is far more
                                          >attractive from an operational and economic perspective. Manchuria
                                          >and Korea abound in raw materials the way Japan abounds in scenic
                                          >mountains. A nation with burgeoning population and lack of
                                          >available land looks to add land, not just resources, and Indonesia
                                          >has resources but not nearly the land area of Asia.

                                          Remember the Iberians were there! The Japanese constructed fairly modern
                                          (for the time) vessels toward the end of the sixteenth and the begining
                                          of the seventeenth centuries. As for the comparative attractiveness of
                                          China, that point is well taken, and I tried to raise it myself in an
                                          earlier posting.

                                          | trash by my email filters. |
                                        • Ii Saburou
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005
                                            On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, mattfmcti wrote:

                                            > I'm getting an image of a man beating his head against a brick
                                            > wall...how many ultimately futile expeditions did the Japanese send to
                                            > Korea through the ages? One would guess that, with easier pickings
                                            > elsewhere, they might have learned to just forget Korea. *The Big
                                            > Question* What is the morbid Japanese facination with Korea anyway?

                                            If you look, there aren't easier pickings. For most of Japan's history,
                                            they have to island hop to get to the mainland--it is just far enough that
                                            if you start sailing without some kind of guide, you can end up way off
                                            course. This is one of the reasons the Mongol invasion took the same
                                            route in to Japan both times.

                                            If Japan wanted resources outside of their own country, Korea was their
                                            ticket. They could try to go north and finally take Hokkaido and up that
                                            direction, but why? What is there for them? It is cold, and the people
                                            are primitive so you aren't bringing back great plunder.

                                            Korea on the other hand, has historical value as well. Japan's early
                                            legends/history tell of their conquering Korea--Empress Jingo Kogo in 366,
                                            according to tradition. Japan later started losing its foothold in Korea.
                                            Once back on the home islands, Japan had enough trouble with the local
                                            Emishi that they don't seem to have been much inclined to try to expand.

                                            As Emishi are being put down in the provinces, the life of the court grows
                                            more insular. They are more concerned with what is going on in the
                                            capital than outside. They lose effective control of the provinces, and
                                            the warrior caste comes to power. Despite 'unification', there is still
                                            enough to keep the Japanese busy, especially when the Mongols decide to
                                            come to them. Finally, after an imperial dynastic struggle and Japan's
                                            own warring states period you finally have a warlord who has sufficiently
                                            pacified the nation to continue his ambitions further. Since the only
                                            really accessible piece of land is Korea, there he goes.

                                            One--if not *the*--problem Toyotomi had was he wouldn't remain satisfied
                                            with Korea. He got it into his head he could take on the whole of China.
                                            The Chinese were rather content to let him come through Korea--they didn't
                                            really care so much about it--but when they saw he wanted to come further
                                            they decided it would be better to fight that war on someone else's
                                            territory, and so march the Japanese off the Penninsula.

                                            Japan decides to become insular again, and without outside pressure, they
                                            content themselves with their islands.

                                            Then Perry comes in his Black Ships and forcibly requires Japan to open
                                            its doors. Up and coming Japanese come to the realization that the world
                                            will come to them unless they learn to keep the world out, and they build
                                            up a Navy and Army that are able to dominate their section of the world,
                                            defeating both the Chinese and the Russians.

                                            Japan then goes for Korea again because of the resources required to keep
                                            up with the industrialization. Also, no doubt, they are taking lessons
                                            from the British as to how the Brits became a great world-spanning Empire
                                            from just a small island nation.

                                            Japan actually keeps Korea this time until the end of WWWII.

                                            So, all in all, Korea wasn't a bad move for Japan at any point in its
                                            history, as I can see it.

                                            -Ii
                                          • James Eckman
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 3, 2005
                                              sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                              >From: "Ellen Davis" <ellen.m.davis@...>
                                              >

                                              >The pottery in question is called Valdivia ware and does bear a marked
                                              >similarity to certain Jomon styles from both Honshu and Kyushu.
                                              >
                                              >(Not to toot my own sho, but I wrote a paper on this whole shebang as part
                                              >of an American Prehistory class, and I'm posting it to the Files section
                                              >under "Valdivia.doc". It's a bit technical in places but I thought it might
                                              >be helpful and/or interesting.)

                                              It's cool, it's interesting.

                                              >From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
                                              >

                                              >No there are not. This is patently false. The canonical and well worn
                                              >example is aoi.

                                              Is the sea blue? That's what we in the west say even though it's more
                                              likely to be a yucky kind of turquoise most of the time. Color words are
                                              not very precise in English, or even between people with the same
                                              background and language.

                                              >I am not a subscriber to nihonron either, but the notion that Japanese and
                                              >English are equivalent is laughable.

                                              Certainly much closer than Navajo or some of the really far out tribal
                                              languages. I guess all those translator's out there are just ripping us
                                              off ;)

                                              >There are things which are easier and
                                              >more natural to express in each of these languages. Even if something can
                                              >be easily expressed in both languages does not mean that you will see a
                                              >1:1 word mapping.

                                              For more complex concepts that's true. Actually for pre-1900's Japan I
                                              would say love is tough word to translate in either direction.

                                              > From: "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@...>
                                              >

                                              >I'm getting an image of a man beating his head against a brick
                                              >wall...how many ultimately futile expeditions did the Japanese send to
                                              >Korea through the ages? One would guess that, with easier pickings
                                              >elsewhere, they might have learned to just forget Korea.

                                              Why are the Turks and Greeks still fighting, why did the French and
                                              English always fight each other? It's all part of being neighborly ;)

                                              Jim Eckman
                                            • Solveig
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 4, 2005

                                                Greetings from Solvieg! "Love" is indeed another interesting word. Ancient
                                                Greek had four words for "love". Modern Japanese has more than one. Arguably
                                                English has at least two common words: "love" and "lust".

                                                | trash by my email filters. |
                                              • mattfmcti
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                  > Noble Cousin!
                                                  >
                                                  > Greetings from Solveig! The Japanese were doing a very good job of
                                                  nibbling
                                                  > away at China until the U.S. intervened in the late 1930's early 1940's.
                                                  > Even in August of 1945, the Japanese had an operational army in
                                                  China with
                                                  > more a million troops. If memory serves correctly of course.

                                                  IIRC, Japan was also technologically superior to China, having spent
                                                  the last 40-50 years modernizing the country at warp speed. I believe
                                                  the Chinese resistance during WWII was using U.S.-supplied arms and
                                                  supplies, because they either didn't have the facilities to make there
                                                  own or the Japanese had bombed/taken them.

                                                  Besides, don't you know....you NEVER get involved in a land war with
                                                  Asia. ^_^

                                                  Fujiwara
                                                • David Williams
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 4, 2005

                                                    > Besides, don't you know....you NEVER get involved in
                                                    > a land war with
                                                    > Asia. ^_^
                                                    >
                                                    > Fujiwara

                                                    And never challenge a Sicillian when death is on the
                                                    line!!!!

                                                    Cristen

                                                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                                  • Solveig
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 4, 2005

                                                      >IIRC, Japan was also technologically superior to China,

                                                      As the author of "Empire of the Sun" put it, "the Japanese make machines
                                                      and the Chinese break machines".

                                                      | trash by my email filters. |
                                                    • Park McKellop
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                        Never bet with a Sicilian.

                                                        It is inconceivable.

                                                        Alcyoneus

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 5, 2005
                                                          It is still today. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Japanese tool or machine. I would buy a Chinese tool or machine only if I could afford to think of it as a disposable tool, or could afford nothing better.

                                                          Alcyoneus