First Event Period Clothing Query

  • John Hidalgo
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      While I have been to various SCA events in the past, I have not done
      so in Japanese clothing. I am planning to attend an event in early
      February and want to do it right. I do not have the time to put
      together and extensive kit, but those limitted items do get I want
      to be proper. The last thing I want to do is to show up,looking
      like an abject farb. Having done English Civil War living history,
      I have come to appreciate having a quality, historically accurate
      kit.

      So with that in mind, I am hoping I can get some good
      recommendations. I would like to put together a basic kit, nothing
      fancy. I am looking at the late 1500s to early 1600s as a
      timeframe.

      I have been doing some hunting around the web, but I thought that
      getting advice from those who have been there already would be
      useful. I believe that I am going to be looking at the basic
      kimono, hakama, tabi, waraji and such. Not sure how much variance
      there is with these items between the differet periods. Any
      patterns, resources, links, advice, etc. would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks for your help.

      Take care,
      John Hidalgo
      www.texasshinto.org
      www.roundrockbujinkan.com
      www.lonestartsumo.org
      "Seek freedom and become a slave to your desires. Seek discipline and
      discover your liberty."
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John Hidalgo" <oniyama@t...> wrote:

        > So with that in mind, I am hoping I can get some good
        > recommendations. I would like to put together a basic kit,
        nothing
        > fancy. I am looking at the late 1500s to early 1600s as a
        > timeframe.

        Have you been through the Garb Files yet? I know there's a bunch of
        PDF patterns for period men's clothes in there.

        Hiraizumi-sensei's website
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/index.html

        Kyoto Costume Museum is a good place to get an idea of what looks
        correct.
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

        Bokunan-do has cool accessories
        http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/warring5.htm

        > Not sure how much variance
        > there is with these items between the differet periods.
        Shapes of garments are slightly different. Men's hakama didn't have
        the "sit-up-straight" panel thingy. Kosode are somewhat wider than
        modern kimono and have more rounded sleeves. While it looks very
        female oriented, I have construction directions at
        http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm and it's a
        unisex garment, so you should be able to see what the shape and
        dimensions are like. Besides, the links at the end to extant
        garments are often things that belonged to men, despite the
        decorative motifs. ;->

        Hope this gets you in the right direction. Good luck. (And happy
        New Year!)

        Makiwara