Date Masamune tekko crest

  • jeremy_kroeker
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
      Does anybody know what the crest on the Date Masamune tekko is? (It
      isnt the Date Crest!)

      Antique Armor:
      http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/english/exhibition/nichigetu/img/l_3.jpg

      Reproduction Armor:
      http://www.yoroi.co.jp/english/english/e-img/p1/s15b.jpg

      I think the antique and reproduction are diffrent so does anybody know
      what the crest on either tekko is?

      Jeremy Kroeker
    • Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
        Jeremy,
        It could be my old eyes, but I think you are seeing knot-work, and
        not (pardun unintended verbal pun) a crest. One image seems to have a
        straightforward loop of cord...the other has a slightly more
        elaborate chinese sort of loops...like frogs for clothing...
        Date Masamune had a rather well known kamon - the love birds nested
        in circlets of leafy bamboo (which the SCA wil not allow you to
        register, cuz it looks like a laural... (sigh))

        Date...a Mutsu branch of the Date...one which does not use the
        circlet of bamboo...
        (sigh)
        Yama Kaminari Ryu

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "jeremy_kroeker" <xlt1000@h...> wrote:

        > Does anybody know what the crest on the Date Masamune tekko is? (It
        > isnt the Date Crest!)
        >
        > Antique Armor:

        http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/english/exhibition/nichigetu/img/l_3.jpg

        > Reproduction Armor:
        > http://www.yoroi.co.jp/english/english/e-img/p1/s15b.jpg
        >
        > I think the antique and reproduction are diffrent so does anybody
        know
        > what the crest on either tekko is?
        >

        > Jeremy Kroeker
      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
          jeremy_kroeker wrote:

          > I think the antique and reproduction are diffrent so does anybody know
          > what the crest on either tekko is?

          The tekko are plain.

          What I think you're thinking are crests are the decorative knots on the cords
          that are the finger-loops.

          Anthony J. Bryant
          Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

          Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
          http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
        • Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
            Sensei speaks true...
            Date...
            Yama Kaminari Ryu

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
              Well, I see it now, it looks great anyways. I don't intend to use my
              armor in SCA combat so it really doesn't matter if it is legal.
              Thanks

              Jeremy Kroeker