Re: [SCA-JML] Introduction and Persona dilemma

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 24, 2004

      Greetings from Solveig! Is your Dutch sailor possibly catholic? It should
      not be too difficult to ship out on either a Portugese or Spanish ship
      carrying missionaries and other adventurers to Japan.

      As for rapier. The Japanese were quite open to foreign stuff during the
      sixteenth century. The only real problem with the rapier is its inferiority.

      >So, really, the question for you is... Would it be more appropriate to
      >play at being a well-travelled Dutch sailor, travelling the world and
      >collecting stories? Or a well-travelled buke-class Japanese, travelling
      >the world and sharing stories? Because I don't know, and I'd prefer not
      >to peeve anyone.

      Whichever "rocks your boat". Really, whichever one gives you the most fun.
      You will generally do better at research and recreation that way.

      >(re: Baudrillard, Derrida, Foucault and them guys)

      Bah humbug! Stuff and nonsense! You should throw in Claud Levi
      Strauss for good, or more accurately bad, measure. Some nonsense from
      these guys was one
      of the reasons that I pretty much threw "Japan's Name Culture" across the
      room when U of T got it in.

      >Fujiwara no Takauji

      Are you a mmeber of the kuge from the Heian period?

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • Solveig
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 28, 2004

        >Here we go, in the Nihongi: "15th day. The Emperor sent his younger
        >brother, the Prince Imperial, of the Eastern Palace, to the house of the
        >Naidaijin Fujihara, to confer on him the cap of "Great Woven Stuff" and
        >the rank of Oho-omi. He also granted him a surname, and made him the
        >House of Fujihara. From this time forward he was generally known as
        >Fujihara no Daijin."

        That is the case. As I recall, there are of course a few other juicy bits,
        and this whole business gets refered to as a Coup d'etat in some histories.

        >It would appear, that the name was granted because of where Kamatari-kou
        >came from, which is interesting because previously I had thought the name
        >to have been spun out of whole cloth. The Nihongi comment above would
        >appear to suggest that it was an actual locative, and it was in use before
        >the Fujiwara 'uji' came into being, but only as a true locative rather
        >than as a surname.

        As I recall, the name had a bit to do with where the two had plotted their
        little takeover of the government.

        | trash by my email filters. |