Re: [SCA-JML] Nuikata book help

  • markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2000
      << One thing that has crossed my mind is that of size: I am six foot 2 inches
      tall and wonder if anyone has suggestions as far as how best to lengthen the
      garments so they reach the proper length on my body. >>

      If the pattern allows, I find that altering the pattern for tall and large
      sized persons is best taken at a center point or centerline.
      Example, for kimono/kosode/kataginu, to lengthen add 6 inches at the waist
      level which is half way from shoulder to hem, to widen add 3 inches midway
      from side seam to center seam. This keeps you from having to alter the collar
      and the sleeves. If the collar is involved, add 6 inches to each end of the
      collar to insure it covers the whole length. It may sound involved and it
      may sound easier to just add fabric to the hem, but it is usually easier
      putting the garment together in the end.

      My two cents,
      Fumio
      (who is 6 ft., 1 in.)
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2000
        Sumimasen,

        I am back to work on my armour, and am going to have to get some new
        pieces for it; coming back after a year and seeing the previous cuts and
        what not made me grimace in a few cases. Anyway, I am trying to figure
        out what size holes were used for the stringing of the armour? (what is
        the term for armour lacing?) Also, I am still looking for good shoelace
        on steroids but selection is rather limited at the moment and I may be
        relegated to parachute cord or something similar until I can find better
        lacing.

        Finally, are there any good patterns for the lacing on any suits of
        armour? I think I pretty much have it figured out from all of the photos
        and books I've looked at, but I haven't seen any that out and out show you
        where the holes go on each plate.

        -Godric Logan

        PS: I am trying to do a cheater's ni-mai-dou: solid strips of metal rather
        than the individual kozone, with a sparser lacing than one might see on
        the more elaborate suits. I will try to document the project through
        pictures and post them on the internet.
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2000
          Joshua Badgley wrote:

          > On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
          >
          > > > Also, I am still looking for good shoelace
          > > > on steroids but selection is rather limited at the moment and I may be
          > > > relegated to parachute cord or something similar until I can find better
          > > > lacing.
          >
          > Okay, I went to Hancock Fabrics (www.hancockfabrics.com) and saw nothing
          > more than a 1/2" horsehair Sew Perfect braid. I've sent them messages,
          > but their webmaster's e-mail appears to be full. I am waiting on this one
          > piece before I can continue my armor, so if anyone can help me find
          > 1/4" 'shoelace on steroids' braid, I would be ever so grateful.

          The product number is Sew Perfect 1823. If they can't find it with that, they're
          hopeless. You can't do this at their website, you have to go to the store. Why not
          the website? Well, they don't have the notions and lace and braid links built yet.
          You have to go to the store.

          For people planning to make armour with other colors than black, red, dkblue, or
          white, try using bigfat shoelaces (3/8" wide, good for Sengoku stuff), which you
          can get from: http://www.lacesforless.com

          Go there and look at their offerings of "athletic" laces. I've got about 30 packs
          of orange and purple and green and other cool colors here waiting to be turned
          into armour.

          Effingham
        • Joshua Badgley
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2000
            On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

            > The product number is Sew Perfect 1823. If they can't find it with that, they're
            > hopeless. You can't do this at their website, you have to go to the store. Why not
            > the website? Well, they don't have the notions and lace and braid links built yet.
            > You have to go to the store.

            Hmmm... Problem: no Hancock Fabrics up here in Fairbanks, AK. Any other
            suggestions, or is this it? I can try at our other fabric stores in town,
            but I don't know if they will sell it or not.

            > For people planning to make armour with other colors than black, red, dkblue, or
            > white, try using bigfat shoelaces (3/8" wide, good for Sengoku stuff), which you
            > can get from: http://www.lacesforless.com

            I'll look up their website; maybe use that if it's what I can get.

            Thanks,

            -Godric Logan
          • M&A
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 11, 2000
              Jo Ann Fabrics also carries it.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2000

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2000
                  M&A wrote:

                  > Jo Ann Fabrics also carries it.

                  Not this particular brand, do they? I can't imagine JoAnn stocking material
                  from a rival store. OTOH, if they DO, that would make me happy.

                  I know the Jo Ann here in B'ton doesn't stock the right kind, as I have to
                  drive to Indy to visit the Hancock's and buy the right braid.

                  Effingham
                • Ogami Itto
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 12, 2000
                    Godric,
                    There is a Hancock's about ten minutes away from where I live.
                    have purchased someof the lacing before, and found that it works well
                    for what I was doing (making a pair of side-lace jeans, actually, but
                    that's not important!). I believe that it is available in two widths
                    that would be suitable for armor. [Correct me if I'm wrong on this,
                    'kay Hiraizumi-tono?] If you wanted, I could mail you samples of the
                    colors/widths that are available at the local store. Send me your
                    snail mail address off list...

                    Secondly, and more importantly... Because this *is* a plastic
                    lacing (either nylon or poly pro, not sure which) it will snag and
                    fray really badly when you lace your armor plates, if you don't
                    deburr
                    the holes first. For anyone making armor, I *strongly* suggest that
                    you go and buy a set of countersinks so that you can deburr holes
                    before lacing. It's also a really good idea to do the same to the
                    edges of your armor plates, just to kkep everything in good working
                    order for a long time.
                    Third... I'd recommend using a lighter to melt the end of the
                    lacing, and then rolling the melted end into a needlt shape. It's a
                    lot easier than trying to push a frayed end through, or using an end
                    wrapped in tape... If the lacing just burns instead of melting, try
                    cutting it into a point on the end, and then stiffening it with some
                    glue. (All of this may seem self-explanatory, but it took several
                    frustrating hours for me to come up with this the first time... :P)

                    ~Yoshinobu