Nuikata book help

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      Konnichiwa!

      I finally got to my Nuikata book, as I had sent it to my Uni ahead of me,
      and I am finally getting to the patterns so that I can make some Japanese
      clothing for myself. One thing that has crossed my mind is that of
      size: I am six foot 2 inches tall and wonder if anyone has suggestions as
      far as how best to lengthen the garments so they reach the proper length
      on my body.

      I will be practicing on cheap muslin, and probably use that for some lower
      layers if they work out. Suggestions on anything people have noticed when
      putting together clothes would be appreciated. I am still reading through
      the Nuikata book and trying to translate some of the words I can't find in
      my dictionary.

      In case anyone is interested, my current project is based off of a
      combination of things that I have seen from 16th Century Japan, trying to
      use the Nuikata book to find the appropriate patterns. I would like to
      start with a loincloth, a first-layer of kosode and hakama--I'm still
      trying to figure out what kind of hakama I should use here; would the
      shiro-ashiginu-awase-no-hakama (p 151) be appropriate?--and then a
      wider sleeved garment outside with the more open, pleated hakama. For the
      latter, what pattern would be suggested? I am thinking two-panelled
      sleeves, with the narrow wrist openings and a v-neck design (as opposed to
      the circular collar) and drawstrings on the hakama to pull them close
      about my feet.

      Later, I am thinking of adding a kataginu (? the sleeveless vest-like
      jacket), although I am not sure how I will make that.

      It appears that I may have to modify some of the patterns in the nuikata
      book to make some of the other clothes that I see in some of these
      pictures I have, but I could be mistaken. Sorry for dragging this so
      long, I'll sign off for now.

      Thank you for your patience,

      Godric Logan