[SCA-JML] kanji and romanji

  • Ogami Itto
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
      Is it just me, or am I the only person that ever brings much of
      anything up these days? Huh.

      Anyway, to everyone out there that can read and write Japanese, I
      am looking for the kanji for the words "fear", "emptiness", and
      "despair". I don't know if there are modifiers for these adjectives
      (i.e., "to want" in spanish is "querer", "I want" is "quiero")- if
      there are, I would like kanji representing "[I] despair", "[there is]
      emptiness", and "[only] fear [exists]".
      In addition, I would like the pronounciation written out in
      romanji, with the literal translations, and the conotative translation.
      Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
      be really cool.
      I am willing to work out some sort of compensation for services.
      Anyone wishing to reply should contact me at my e-mail address,
      shubnigurath@....
      Thanks again,
      Love you
      folks,
      Ogami Itto
    • akimoya
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
        On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

        > Is it just me, or am I the only person that ever brings much of
        > anything up these days? Huh.

        Yes.

        You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:

        http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

        > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
        > be really cool.

        You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.

        Akimoya
        Ealdormere
      • akimoya
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
          On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

          > Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...

          Hey, when you're good, you're good.

          And speaking of beating, does anyone have documentation on period torture
          techniques? Is hojojitsu period? How about so-called japanese "rope
          bondage"?

          Akimoya
          Ealdormere
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
            Ogami Itto wrote:

            > Is it just me, or am I the only person that ever brings much of
            > anything up these days? Huh.

            Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...

            Yes. <G>

            Hiraizumi/Effingham

            Personally, I'm just waiting for any of you to bring up something civilized.
            You know, like the crisp colour of a robe newly-dyed with safflower... ;)

            Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
                akimoya wrote:

                > On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                >
                > > Akimoya-dono already beat me to it, but...
                >
                > Hey, when you're good, you're good.
                >
                > And speaking of beating, does anyone have documentation on period torture
                > techniques? Is hojojitsu period? How about so-called japanese "rope
                > bondage"?

                Pretty much...

                Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
                really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
                days.

                The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
                had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

                Hiraizumi/Effingham
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
                  Hi.

                  I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
                  last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
                  calligraphy.

                  Rope ties were (and to some extent still are) a high art form
                  in Japan. I bought a really nice book at Kinokuniya once that
                  dealt exclusively with knots. (Unfortunately, it may have
                  perished in one of the floods.)

                  | techie.com |
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Hi.
                    >
                    > I bought a nice package of Japanese fonts made by Dynafont the
                    > last time I was in Cambridge. Of course, you could also learn
                    > calligraphy.

                    Is that the one with the sumo-ban type face, a few interesting seal faces,
                    and the nice calligraphy faces? I've got that one myself. Great package,
                    with some nice fonts. It came in very handy in preparing some handouts in
                    my Japanese pedagogy class. <G>

                    Effingham/Hiraizumi
                  • BamboOni@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
                      In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, akimoya@...
                      writes:

                      > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                      >
                      > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
                      >
                      > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
                      > > be really cool.
                      >
                      > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
                      >
                      > Akimoya
                      > Ealdormere

                      I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two different
                      computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???

                      Oni
                    • akimoya
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
                        On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                        > Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
                        > really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
                        > days.

                        I don't suppose you have any references...

                        > The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
                        > had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

                        So I have heard aserted.

                        Akimoya
                        Ealdormere
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
                          Baron Edward!

                          It is the "dynafont" set priced at 12,000Y (It was marked at $95.00 and
                          I think I got it for less than that, but it's still worth every penny at
                          $95.00.)
                          It has a font called heiseimincho, a gyosho font, and other neat stuff.
                          I am still after a couple of Japanese fonts, but finding stuff of this
                          sort outside of Japan is pretty amazing. I think that there is a Sumo
                          ban typeface in the second disk, but it is not shown on the back of the
                          box. RFNum117 looks like it might be a Sumo-ban font. (Unfortunately,
                          the booklet only shows the numerals and few special signs. I don't feel
                          like installing the font just to find out.)

                          I still want fonts for several of the old-style character styles which
                          I have forgotten the names of (at least some of them). Unfortunately,
                          my best calligraphy manual (which had all of this stuff in it)
                          dissappeared at Pennsic several years ago along with two rings. I
                          hope that whoever has them has at least found a use for them and has
                          not just thrown them out due to being mean.

                          Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                          Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                          Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                          | techie.com |
                        • akimoya
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 30, 2000
                            On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                            > Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
                            > Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
                            > Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

                            I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find the East Kingdom Chronicler,
                            and ask them to look for your article; they're certain to have back issues
                            archived somewhere.

                            Akimoya
                            Ealdormere
                          • Ogami Itto
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                              bamboon-@... wrote:
                              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sca-jml/?start=182
                              > In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              akimoya@...
                              > writes:
                              >
                              > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                              > >
                              > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
                              > >
                              > > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that
                              would
                              > > > be really cool.
                              > >
                              > > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
                              > >
                              > > Akimoya
                              > > Ealdormere
                              >
                              > I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two
                              different
                              > computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???
                              >
                              > Oni

                              I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                              computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                              And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                              asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                              anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                              votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                              Ogami Itto
                            • Kass McGann
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                                I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                                computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                                And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                                asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                                anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                                votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                                Ogami Itto

                                Personally, I don't mind your questions, Ogami-wake. If you didn't ask
                                something, I fear the list would be totally quiet.

                                I just wish you guys would talk about something other than weapons
                                sometimes... ;)

                                Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
                              • Joshua Badgley
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                                  On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                                  > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                                  > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                                  > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                                  > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                                  >
                                  > Ogami Itto

                                  I love it when people ask questions, and my apologies if I cannot always
                                  answer them. Please, continue asking questions!

                                  Godric Logan
                                  aka Joshua Badgley
                                • BamboOni@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                    In a message dated 1/31/00 9:12:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    shubnigurath@... writes:

                                    > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                                    > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                                    > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                                    > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                                    >
                                    > Ogami Itto

                                    By no means.... You are just asking questions before I think to ask them.....

                                    Oni
                                  • akimoya
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                      On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                                      > > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                      > I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                                      > computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                                      Try the US server at:

                                      http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                      Akimoya
                                      Ealdormere
                                    • Jordan Malokofsky
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                        Ogami Itto wrote:
                                        > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                                        > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                                        > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                                        > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                                        And if you're the only one asking questions and stop, then this list
                                        wouldn't be good for very much with no postings, would it? I vote for
                                        your continued questions.

                                        Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
                                        <There is an exception to every rule.>

                                        Jordan Malokofsky - Mundane
                                        Tatsuki Akira - SCA
                                        Sir Pip - Cyberspace Avatar
                                        http://www.malokofsky.ann-arbor.mi.us
                                      • akimoya
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                                          On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, akimoya wrote:

> [...]

                                          I just discovered that they've changed the domain name at the Canadian
                                          Server for the J-E Dictionary; it is now:

                                          http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                                          Akimoya
                                          Ealdormere
                                        • BamboOni@aol.com