(no subject)

  • markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5 3:44 PM
      This came across the AEthelmearc list and I thougt I would include it here as
      it pertaines to Japanese personea names.
      Enjoy,
      Bun-ami

      ---------------------------------------
      <<Greetings to heralds & pursuivants, one and all,

      This is to inform you that Free Trumpet Press West now has in stock by
      special arrangement with Potboiler Press, Free Trumpet Press West is
      proud to carry "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" by Solveig
      Throndardottir. Price is $42.00.

      As always, all prices are in US Dollars, and include shipping, handling and
      (where applicable) Illinois sales tax.

      Please be advised that the information and price sheets on the FTPW web
      page are OUT OF DATE. We are trying to get things updated -- there will be
      an announcement when new price sheets are posted on the FTPW web page.

      For orders, more information and a current price list, please write to:

      Free Trumpet Press West
      1613 N. School St.
      Normal, IL 61761

      klconlin@...

      Free Trumpet Press West (FTPW) is the official publications office of the
      SCA College of Arms. It is an SCA entity, reporting to the Laurel Sovereign
      of Arms and the Society Exchequer, not a private business.

      Thank you for your time and attention,

      Rory mac Feidhlimidh
      Curator, Free Trumpet Press West

      Free Trumpet Press West
      1613 N School St
      Normal, IL 61761-1240
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/ftpw/
      klconlin@...
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5 5:23 PM
        Konnichiwa!

        I finally got to my Nuikata book, as I had sent it to my Uni ahead of me,
        and I am finally getting to the patterns so that I can make some Japanese
        clothing for myself. One thing that has crossed my mind is that of
        size: I am six foot 2 inches tall and wonder if anyone has suggestions as
        far as how best to lengthen the garments so they reach the proper length
        on my body.

        I will be practicing on cheap muslin, and probably use that for some lower
        layers if they work out. Suggestions on anything people have noticed when
        putting together clothes would be appreciated. I am still reading through
        the Nuikata book and trying to translate some of the words I can't find in
        my dictionary.

        In case anyone is interested, my current project is based off of a
        combination of things that I have seen from 16th Century Japan, trying to
        use the Nuikata book to find the appropriate patterns. I would like to
        start with a loincloth, a first-layer of kosode and hakama--I'm still
        trying to figure out what kind of hakama I should use here; would the
        shiro-ashiginu-awase-no-hakama (p 151) be appropriate?--and then a
        wider sleeved garment outside with the more open, pleated hakama. For the
        latter, what pattern would be suggested? I am thinking two-panelled
        sleeves, with the narrow wrist openings and a v-neck design (as opposed to
        the circular collar) and drawstrings on the hakama to pull them close
        about my feet.

        Later, I am thinking of adding a kataginu (? the sleeveless vest-like
        jacket), although I am not sure how I will make that.

        It appears that I may have to modify some of the patterns in the nuikata
        book to make some of the other clothes that I see in some of these
        pictures I have, but I could be mistaken. Sorry for dragging this so
        long, I'll sign off for now.

        Thank you for your patience,

        Godric Logan