Re: [SCA-JML] book on armour

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > I prefer to translate Seii taishougun as: "Barbarian Surpressing
      > Generalissimo". Surpressing seems to hold a bit more panache for
      > me than subduing. I agree that naginata really should be translated
      > as halberd although I am sometimes fond of calling it a "sword on
      > a stick" rather informally when describing the things.

      Ah, but of suppressing, or subduing, which is longer lasting? (Academic,
      really, since neither being suppressed or subdued is likely to be permanent
      <G>.) I do think suppressing is less forceful than subduing, though. You
      can suppress an insurrection, but the insurrectionists are still there. If
      you subdue them, it's no longer an issue.

      As for sword on a stick; I like that. <G>