Re: [SCA-JML] goblins and superstition

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2004
      On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 bunkvania@... wrote:

      > The subject of goblins, faerie and superstition regarding such things is an
      > area of intrest for me. Could anybody point me toward some good resources on
      > such things as they relate to Japanese culture. In particular I'm curious as
      > to different types of spirits, what they do, ways to drive them away or attract
      > them, and any artwork or armour inspired by such creatures, for example the
      > menpo styled to resemble the tengu.

      As already mentioned, "Japanese Tales" by Royall Tyler is a good one.
      "Tales of Times Now Past", a translation of some of the stories in Konjaku
      Monogatari, is also nice. The Nihongi and Kojiki don't have so many
      'goblins' per se, but do tell the 'history' of Japan as it was written
      down way back when, complete with gods and all.

      Nakayama's "A History of Japanese Astronomy" has a little bit, but
      probably not as much as you are looking for. Tales about Benkei and
      Yoshitsune may turn up some, as I believe Yoshitsune was supposed to have
      been taught by Tengu--scrolls and later woodprints of his training are
      often useful here.

      Not sure if any of that would help.