Re: [SCA-JML] Theatre at Pennsic XXX

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
      Baron Edward!

      Atsumori has only one really outrageous costume in it. The remainder of
      the cosutmes consist of one monks costume and bunch of peasant costumes.
      The problem with Atsumori is that it is fully blown meet the poetry
      spouting ghost Noh theatre ala Zeami. Yo'uchi Soga is much more plot
      oriented. The problem is that I know at least two people who have
      expressed interest in Atsumori. Yourself and an English professor at
      Salem-Teikyo University. Yo'uchi Soga presents more of a costuming
      problem as it fills the stage with warriors. (Lots of roles for
      spear carriers.) Now, are you familiar with the kyougen that I listed?
      If so, what is your opinion concerning the most likely to be fun one
      to do?

      As for the kyougen. I mostly emphasize the improvisational nature of
      early kyougen and try to teach people basic concepts and a bit of
      mime. After that, I have them invent the actual play and try to coach
      them during the process. The result is that I have managed to pull
      of pick-up kyougen troops. I have no delusions that the same thing
      can be done for Noh.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
        Baron Edward!

        How about reviving the Daigaku-ryou at Pennsic? Complete with
        scholars of confucian classics &c. We could even print up
        I-tan-dai haori or something like that for the students.
        What do you think?

        | techie.com, msn.com |