Re: [SCA-JML] Theatre at Pennsic XXX

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Baron Edward!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Clan Yamakaminari has for reasons unknown to me
      > decided that they want to have a Noh stage complete with Noh plays at
      > Pennsic XXX. I am currently thinking of staging Atsumori (which I think
      > can count as a ghost play) followed by Yo'uchi Soga (a warrior play)
      > with an intervening kyogen and with inter-act ai-kyogen. Possibly
      > something like Hachiman no Mae, Boshibari, Busu, Bikusada, Kusabira,
      > Kubihiki, Fukurou, or Hanatorizumo. What do you think?

      I've gotta tell you....

      I think that's an over-ambitious program. It's hard enough to teach
      seasoned western actors Noh techniques, let alone a handful of amateurs.
      Then try to teach them more than one play. Then try to get them to
      rehearse, and to find a PLACE to rehearse together.

      I really believe that if you can pull ONE play off this first time around,
      perhaps with a kyogen, it's a major achievement.

      Think of the costuming alone. Oy, the headaches.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
        Baron Edward!

        Atsumori has only one really outrageous costume in it. The remainder of
        the cosutmes consist of one monks costume and bunch of peasant costumes.
        The problem with Atsumori is that it is fully blown meet the poetry
        spouting ghost Noh theatre ala Zeami. Yo'uchi Soga is much more plot
        oriented. The problem is that I know at least two people who have
        expressed interest in Atsumori. Yourself and an English professor at
        Salem-Teikyo University. Yo'uchi Soga presents more of a costuming
        problem as it fills the stage with warriors. (Lots of roles for
        spear carriers.) Now, are you familiar with the kyougen that I listed?
        If so, what is your opinion concerning the most likely to be fun one
        to do?

        As for the kyougen. I mostly emphasize the improvisational nature of
        early kyougen and try to teach people basic concepts and a bit of
        mime. After that, I have them invent the actual play and try to coach
        them during the process. The result is that I have managed to pull
        of pick-up kyougen troops. I have no delusions that the same thing
        can be done for Noh.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
          Baron Edward!

          How about reviving the Daigaku-ryou at Pennsic? Complete with
          scholars of confucian classics &c. We could even print up
          I-tan-dai haori or something like that for the students.
          What do you think?

          | techie.com, msn.com |