[SCA-JML] Re: Yari (and gulf wars)

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hiraizumi Dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! Do I hear the confessions of a secret samurai?
      I am reminded of those Ramen Operas on television where you can always
      tell the "undercover daimyo" because all of his clothes are clean and
      his hair looks like it was just arranged. Then there was the show about
      the secret undercover police who at climatic moments in every episode
      pull out and display an inro.

      Now then, are you still really sure that you aren't a Ninja as per our
      electronic conversation of about four years ago? (As you might recall,
      you insisted that a Ninja at Pennsic would wear western clothing and
      call himself something inocuous like "Henry" or "Edward".)

      | techie.com |
    • Markejag@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2000
        Greetings Noble gentles!

        One possilbe answer to:

        << I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
        about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
        16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
        and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
        Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
        long?>>

        Could be a variation of Yari-kanna (Japanese style wood planes). These had
        short handles, yari shaped spear tips, used to plane tree trunks into temple
        columns of uniform thickness and to flatten and shape large planks for floor
        boards. The shorter versions seen to day are for cabinetry and tansu. The
        large tang was necessary for controlling the yari-kanna when doing the final
        cuts of fine shavings of wood, but the handle did not have to be as long as a
        military yari.

        Fumio