Re: [SCA-JML] looking for....

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2000

      Decorative wooden combs and things like that can be purchased at
      sovenier stores at places like Asaksa. You may also be able to
      purchase them from larger Japanese groceries such as Yoshinoya
      in Cambridge, Mass.

      Now then. All of those ukiyoe prints with which you are familiar
      are from the Tokugawa period and are therefore post-period as
      far as the Society is concerned. There were lots and lots of
      hair styles during the Tokugawa period. These hairstyles were
      (if you believe the folks at Kabukiza) highly influenced by
      the Kabuki theatre. Sometime after 1600, the Tokugawa Bakufu
      forbad women from appearing on stage and later required all
      of the male actors to shave the fronts of their heads. This
      necessitated the development of wigs. Throughout most of
      period, upper class Japanese women wore their hair in a
      pony tail with their hair tied back with a rather simple white
      tie.

      Why cann't I find my books with the nice pictures when I need
      them? SIGH.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • jademoon@io.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
        that being said, do you know of any online sources where I can
        purchase sewing patterns for period style Kimono? I am not much at
        sewing, but I am willing to give a whirl as well as bringing out my
        machine, dusting it off and giving it a good cussing as I sew merrily
        along.....
      • kujika@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000
          you can find much of what your looking for at www.japan-shop.com
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2000

            Since September 2 is one of those divide by 10 milestone birthdays
            for me, I sent off an order for the Nuikata book to Japan around
            5:00 PM on September 1. Happy Birthday Solveig! As for everyone
            else, please forgive this piece of self-indulgence. I'm in a new
            town, without a place to live yet, and do not have a significant
            other to engage in birthday wishes.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > Why cann't I find my books with the nice pictures when I need
              > them? SIGH.

              Because they're packed somewhere.

              You really need to unpack those books, kiddo. <G>

              Effingham
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2000
                Baron Edward!

                I need to find a place to live first. Most of the book shelves in my
                office are already full. I have three count them three seven foot
                book cases in my office. (I swapped out a shorter book case for a
                taller one when I arrived in August.) I do have what little of the
                besatsu series and my large size Japanese dictionary out though.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2000
                  Baron Edward!

                  Greetings from Solveig! Clan Yamakaminari has for reasons unknown to me
                  decided that they want to have a Noh stage complete with Noh plays at
                  Pennsic XXX. I am currently thinking of staging Atsumori (which I think
                  can count as a ghost play) followed by Yo'uchi Soga (a warrior play)
                  with an intervening kyogen and with inter-act ai-kyogen. Possibly
                  something like Hachiman no Mae, Boshibari, Busu, Bikusada, Kusabira,
                  Kubihiki, Fukurou, or Hanatorizumo. What do you think?

                  | techie.com, msn.com |