Re: [SCA-JML] Movies about History was Re: Hero-Loved It

  • Maria
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
      mattfmcti wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig <nostrand@a...> wrote:
      > > Noble Cousins!
      > >
      > > Greetings from Solveig!
      > >
      > > "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
      > > show a profit.
      >
      > While I realize that the Kurosawa films are without par, I would
      > certainly like to see some modern Japanese film makers explore their
      > history from the Japanese perspective, and not have the Americans do
      > it for them (i.e. Last Samurai). While I also realize that the wuxia
      > genre of films is a very Chinese concept, it's visually stunning (esp.
      > in the style of CT, HD and Hero) and could be easiler adapted to
      > various points in Japanese history (Sekigahara and the Mongol
      > invasions are two that come to mind).

      Fujiwara-dono:

      The Japanese have been putting out some very good historical films
      lately, although most of my favorites seem to be set in either the Edo
      or Meiji periods. However, the action is somewhat different--less
      wirework. Check out Tasogare Seibei (aka Twilight Samurai)
      http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/twilightsamurai.htm and Mibugishiden
      (aka When the Last Sword is Drawn)
      http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/whenthelastswordisdrawn.htm . No
      US/Canada release date as yet, although they are available on region 2
      DVD now and will be released in theatres in the UK later this month.

      Available now on DVD in North America is Takeshi Kitano's remake of
      Zatoichi http://www.zatoichi.co.uk/ (great action, not a lot of emphasis
      on historical accuracy in the costumes, gotta love the geta tap dancing
      at the end LOL!) and Yakano Hiroyuki's Samurai Fiction
      http://www.peacedelic.co.jp/sf/english/ and the very popular Onmyoji
      movies http://www.onmyojimovie.com/ (although the 2nd one hasn't been
      released in the US yet). These movies were all made within the past 7
      years and show how some Japanese directors are trying to experiment with
      period drama.

      Evidently, there was an upswing of interest in the Shinsengumi due to
      NHK's taiga drama this year Shinsengumi! http://www.nhk.or.jp/taiga/ or
      check out an English-language fansite at
      http://nhkshinsengumi.tripod.com/index.html . Next year's taiga drama
      looks interesting as well (and is set much earlier) Yoshitsune
      http://www.jdorama.com/viewtopic.5197.15.htm (some production pics are
      on the 2nd and 3rd page of this thread). If it is as popular, maybe
      we'll see more earlier period movies.

      There was an interesting discussion on the DVD extras of Shura Yukihime
      (The Princess Blade--which is NOT a period movie) in which the director
      talks about the difficulty they faced in trying to make Japanese-style
      swordsmanship more visually exciting. It looks like the Japanese film
      industry is trying to take action movies (period or not) into a new era,
      but they'll do it their own way.

      Writing from my home overlooking the great river,

      Ki no Torahime

      Riverwatch, Calontir

      (Why, yes, I'm a movie geek, how could you tell? ;-D)