[SCA-JML] Re: Yari (and gulf wars)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
      Ogami Itto wrote:

      > Hey, everyone,
      > I don't really expect that anyone will know the answer to this
      > one, but here goes...
      > I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
      > about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
      > 16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
      > and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
      > Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
      > long?

      There was no set size; just as the shaft length can vary, so can the blade length. The
      tang is typically again the blade length or occasionally twice it. One (or two) mekugi
      pins, held exactly the way a sword blade it; mekugi through the shaft and tang.

      > Second, is there any furniture that I should have for a yari, or
      > do you just put a slot in a long shaft and put mekugi through to hold
      > the blade in place? (Then how do I hold the mekugi in place, without
      > any tsuka-itto?

      Tsuka ito is irrelevant. The mekugi is located at the interstices on a tsuka; you don't
      have to unwrap the hilt to pull the pin.

      Effingham/
      Hiraizumi
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
        Hiraizumi Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! Do I hear the confessions of a secret samurai?
        I am reminded of those Ramen Operas on television where you can always
        tell the "undercover daimyo" because all of his clothes are clean and
        his hair looks like it was just arranged. Then there was the show about
        the secret undercover police who at climatic moments in every episode
        pull out and display an inro.

        Now then, are you still really sure that you aren't a Ninja as per our
        electronic conversation of about four years ago? (As you might recall,
        you insisted that a Ninja at Pennsic would wear western clothing and
        call himself something inocuous like "Henry" or "Edward".)

        | techie.com |
      • Markejag@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2000
          Greetings Noble gentles!

          One possilbe answer to:

          << I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
          about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
          16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
          and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
          Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
          long?>>

          Could be a variation of Yari-kanna (Japanese style wood planes). These had
          short handles, yari shaped spear tips, used to plane tree trunks into temple
          columns of uniform thickness and to flatten and shape large planks for floor
          boards. The shorter versions seen to day are for cabinetry and tansu. The
          large tang was necessary for controlling the yari-kanna when doing the final
          cuts of fine shavings of wood, but the handle did not have to be as long as a
          military yari.

          Fumio