[SCA-JML] Re: Re: Re: Question for the list

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2004

      >I think they key part here is correct. Free standing screens are not
      >called shoji, they are called either byobu(opaque) or tsuitate. If it's
      >meant to be part of a house, even if it doesn't slide but is hung or
      >just placed it's shoji. It has to be a house piece and not random furniture.

      This is the point I was trying to get across. Shouji are sliding architectural
      units. The opaque internal sort are now called fusuma while shouji are the
      translucent exterior sort. Very technically, these shouji can be internal.
      However, their light admitting properties have them placed next to a narrow
      companionway on the other side of which lie either wooden shutters or a
      sliding glass door or similar contrivance. Strictly internal translucent
      room dividers would be distinctly odd, but not impossible. One possibility
      comes to minnd. I once stayed at a very very fance youth hostle whic was
      set up in such a way that the rooms looked like small estates with the
      entrances having these wooden jail-cell style gates on them. All very
      fancy. Since these fronted on the interior of the building, the interior
      of the building served as a sort of symbolic out doors and shouji could
      easily face in this direction.

      | trash by my email filters. |