Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hero-Loved It

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
      Okay, never post just before your eyelids snap shut.

      "Chi" is pronounced to rhyme with "sure" -- but "Zhi" is /ji/ (although that "j"
      is about midway between the first consonant sound in "jeep" and the "s" in
      "measure".

      And, dammit, "Beijing" is pronounced with a J. That's a hard J. JING. like JEEP.
      It's not Beizhing. Frigging TV announcers.

      Anthony J. Bryant
      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
      http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004

        "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
        show a profit.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • mattfmcti
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2004
          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
          > show a profit.

          While I realize that the Kurosawa films are without par, I would
          certainly like to see some modern Japanese film makers explore their
          history from the Japanese perspective, and not have the Americans do
          it for them (i.e. Last Samurai). While I also realize that the wuxia
          genre of films is a very Chinese concept, it's visually stunning (esp.
          in the style of CT, HD and Hero) and could be easiler adapted to
          various points in Japanese history (Sekigahara and the Mongol
          invasions are two that come to mind).

          Thinking out loud,
          Fujiwara
        • Maria
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
            mattfmcti wrote:

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig <nostrand@a...> wrote:
            > > Noble Cousins!
            > >
            > > Greetings from Solveig!
            > >
            > > "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
            > > show a profit.
            >
            > While I realize that the Kurosawa films are without par, I would
            > certainly like to see some modern Japanese film makers explore their
            > history from the Japanese perspective, and not have the Americans do
            > it for them (i.e. Last Samurai). While I also realize that the wuxia
            > genre of films is a very Chinese concept, it's visually stunning (esp.
            > in the style of CT, HD and Hero) and could be easiler adapted to
            > various points in Japanese history (Sekigahara and the Mongol
            > invasions are two that come to mind).

            Fujiwara-dono:

            The Japanese have been putting out some very good historical films
            lately, although most of my favorites seem to be set in either the Edo
            or Meiji periods. However, the action is somewhat different--less
            wirework. Check out Tasogare Seibei (aka Twilight Samurai)
            http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/twilightsamurai.htm and Mibugishiden
            (aka When the Last Sword is Drawn)
            http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/whenthelastswordisdrawn.htm . No
            US/Canada release date as yet, although they are available on region 2
            DVD now and will be released in theatres in the UK later this month.

            Available now on DVD in North America is Takeshi Kitano's remake of
            Zatoichi http://www.zatoichi.co.uk/ (great action, not a lot of emphasis
            on historical accuracy in the costumes, gotta love the geta tap dancing
            at the end LOL!) and Yakano Hiroyuki's Samurai Fiction
            http://www.peacedelic.co.jp/sf/english/ and the very popular Onmyoji
            movies http://www.onmyojimovie.com/ (although the 2nd one hasn't been
            released in the US yet). These movies were all made within the past 7
            years and show how some Japanese directors are trying to experiment with
            period drama.

            Evidently, there was an upswing of interest in the Shinsengumi due to
            NHK's taiga drama this year Shinsengumi! http://www.nhk.or.jp/taiga/ or
            check out an English-language fansite at
            http://nhkshinsengumi.tripod.com/index.html . Next year's taiga drama
            looks interesting as well (and is set much earlier) Yoshitsune
            http://www.jdorama.com/viewtopic.5197.15.htm (some production pics are
            on the 2nd and 3rd page of this thread). If it is as popular, maybe
            we'll see more earlier period movies.

            There was an interesting discussion on the DVD extras of Shura Yukihime
            (The Princess Blade--which is NOT a period movie) in which the director
            talks about the difficulty they faced in trying to make Japanese-style
            swordsmanship more visually exciting. It looks like the Japanese film
            industry is trying to take action movies (period or not) into a new era,
            but they'll do it their own way.

            Writing from my home overlooking the great river,

            Ki no Torahime

            Riverwatch, Calontir

            (Why, yes, I'm a movie geek, how could you tell? ;-D)