Re: Hero-Loved It

  • ladypyrate@charter.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
      >P.S. - Am I the only one who thinks Zhang Ziyi is a hottie? ^_^

      Obviously not, as she's been cast as Sayuri in Memoirs of a Geisha. :)

      Meadhbh
      Obune-hime
    • mattfmcti
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, <ladypyrate@c...> wrote:
        > >P.S. - Am I the only one who thinks Zhang Ziyi is a hottie? ^_^
        >
        > Obviously not, as she's been cast as Sayuri in Memoirs of a Geisha. :)
        >

        > Meadhbh
        > Obune-hime

        MoaG is being brought to the big screen? My wife is going to go nuts :).

        Fujiwara
      • ladypyrate@charter.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
          Oh yes. www.IMDB.com has the info. Michelle Yeoh and Ken Wantanabe are also listed as being cast. I think it's due out next Christmas...

          Meadhbh
          Obune-hime
          Movie nut supreme..

        • ladypyrate@charter.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
            Oh yes. www.IMDB.com has the info. Michelle Yeoh and Ken Wantanabe are also listed as being cast. I think it's due out next Christmas...

            Meadhbh
            Obune-hime
            Movie nut supreme..

            > From: "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@...>
            > Date: 2004/12/03 Fri PM 01:07:30 EST
            > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Hero-Loved It

          • Anthony Bryant
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
              ladypyrate@... wrote:

              > Oh yes. www.IMDB.com has the info. Michelle Yeoh and Ken Wantanabe are also listed as being cast. I think it's due out next Christmas...

              Sigh. Another "blockbuster" "Japanese film" to avoid....

              Anthony J. Bryant
              Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

              Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
              http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                Okay, never post just before your eyelids snap shut.

                "Chi" is pronounced to rhyme with "sure" -- but "Zhi" is /ji/ (although that "j"
                is about midway between the first consonant sound in "jeep" and the "s" in
                "measure".

                And, dammit, "Beijing" is pronounced with a J. That's a hard J. JING. like JEEP.
                It's not Beizhing. Frigging TV announcers.

                Anthony J. Bryant
                Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

                Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
                http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004

                  "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
                  show a profit.

                  | trash by my email filters. |
                • mattfmcti
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2004
                    > Noble Cousins!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    >
                    > "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
                    > show a profit.

                    While I realize that the Kurosawa films are without par, I would
                    certainly like to see some modern Japanese film makers explore their
                    history from the Japanese perspective, and not have the Americans do
                    it for them (i.e. Last Samurai). While I also realize that the wuxia
                    genre of films is a very Chinese concept, it's visually stunning (esp.
                    in the style of CT, HD and Hero) and could be easiler adapted to
                    various points in Japanese history (Sekigahara and the Mongol
                    invasions are two that come to mind).

                    Thinking out loud,
                    Fujiwara
                  • Maria
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
                      mattfmcti wrote:

                      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                      > > Noble Cousins!
                      > >
                      > > Greetings from Solveig!
                      > >
                      > > "Memoire of a Geisha" one thumbs down from me. However, the movie should
                      > > show a profit.
                      >
                      > While I realize that the Kurosawa films are without par, I would
                      > certainly like to see some modern Japanese film makers explore their
                      > history from the Japanese perspective, and not have the Americans do
                      > it for them (i.e. Last Samurai). While I also realize that the wuxia
                      > genre of films is a very Chinese concept, it's visually stunning (esp.
                      > in the style of CT, HD and Hero) and could be easiler adapted to
                      > various points in Japanese history (Sekigahara and the Mongol
                      > invasions are two that come to mind).

                      Fujiwara-dono:

                      The Japanese have been putting out some very good historical films
                      lately, although most of my favorites seem to be set in either the Edo
                      or Meiji periods. However, the action is somewhat different--less
                      wirework. Check out Tasogare Seibei (aka Twilight Samurai)
                      http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/twilightsamurai.htm and Mibugishiden
                      (aka When the Last Sword is Drawn)
                      http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/whenthelastswordisdrawn.htm . No
                      US/Canada release date as yet, although they are available on region 2
                      DVD now and will be released in theatres in the UK later this month.

                      Available now on DVD in North America is Takeshi Kitano's remake of
                      Zatoichi http://www.zatoichi.co.uk/ (great action, not a lot of emphasis
                      on historical accuracy in the costumes, gotta love the geta tap dancing
                      at the end LOL!) and Yakano Hiroyuki's Samurai Fiction
                      http://www.peacedelic.co.jp/sf/english/ and the very popular Onmyoji
                      movies http://www.onmyojimovie.com/ (although the 2nd one hasn't been
                      released in the US yet). These movies were all made within the past 7
                      years and show how some Japanese directors are trying to experiment with
                      period drama.

                      Evidently, there was an upswing of interest in the Shinsengumi due to
                      NHK's taiga drama this year Shinsengumi! http://www.nhk.or.jp/taiga/ or
                      check out an English-language fansite at
                      http://nhkshinsengumi.tripod.com/index.html . Next year's taiga drama
                      looks interesting as well (and is set much earlier) Yoshitsune
                      http://www.jdorama.com/viewtopic.5197.15.htm (some production pics are
                      on the 2nd and 3rd page of this thread). If it is as popular, maybe
                      we'll see more earlier period movies.

                      There was an interesting discussion on the DVD extras of Shura Yukihime
                      (The Princess Blade--which is NOT a period movie) in which the director
                      talks about the difficulty they faced in trying to make Japanese-style
                      swordsmanship more visually exciting. It looks like the Japanese film
                      industry is trying to take action movies (period or not) into a new era,
                      but they'll do it their own way.

                      Writing from my home overlooking the great river,

                      Ki no Torahime

                      Riverwatch, Calontir

                      (Why, yes, I'm a movie geek, how could you tell? ;-D)