Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hero - loved it!

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
      Park McKellop wrote:

      > There is no need to move to China to get a good look. You can buy an
      > original complete suit made of jade on ebay, I'm sure. Along with matched
      > sets of one-of-a-kind museum pieces...

      E-bay. Ya gotta love it.

      Effing-up-too-late

      --

      Anthony J. Bryant
      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
      http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
    • mattfmcti
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@b...> wrote:
        > Anthony Bryant wrote:
        >

        > > Ah. That's 'cause she was born in Hong Kong, and it's in
        Cantonese. In Mandarin,
        > > her name's Zhang Manyu (no relation to Zhang Ziyi).
        >
        > BTW: in one of the pointlessly stupid ways Pinyin works, "Zhang
        Ziyi" is
        > pronounced /jong dzuh-ee/, and "Zhang Manyu" is pronounced /jong
        mahn-yoo/ --
        > there's little rhyme or reason. "Shi" is pronounced almost exactly
        like the
        > English "sure" (though farther back in the mouth) while "chi" is
        pronounced
        > /chee/ (though close to the top and front of the mouth).
        >

        > Effingham

        Yet another reason why IPA shold be used for EVERYTHING *j/k* But
        seriously, a phonetically-based romanization system would seem so much
        more logical. I can deal with dropped vowels, like final -u in
        Japanese, but at least try to depict the way the vowels SOUND with its
        closest IE equivalent.

        Fujiwara
      • mattfmcti
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
          > Actually, it's a rather classic lamellar -- the scales are all laced
          together.
          > I've got a great book here called "The Qin Terracotta Army" with
          lots of great
          > close up photos. One of the reasons I've considered a temp job in
          China (but at
          > the cost of a whole year!) is to get to look at some early armour.

          Huh. Shows how good I am at picking out detail ^_^ After looking
          closer at some net pics, it seems the plates are punched with four
          holes on either side and two on the top and bottom, then laced
          overlapping down, correct? The section covering the shoulders and
          collar bones seems to be sort of tailored to the individual (the areas
          covered by kanagu mawari). Was this the case, or is there some pattern
          involved? Are you familiar with what I've seen called "mountain scale
          armour"? How does that date compared with the Qin lamellar?

          Back to Japanese: what were the period thicknesses of the plates used
          in the bowl of a kabuto? Were they tempered or hardened in some way to
          reduce weight while retaining the same level of protection? A lot has
          been made recently on the AA about the used of carbon steel and
          various hardening methods to improve authenticity and cut down on
          wieght, and I was wondering how this topic would be handled in a
          Japanese context.

          An eager and curious student humbly picking your brain,
          Fujiwara
        • Park McKellop