Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hero - loved it!

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
      There is no need to move to China to get a good look. You can buy an original complete suit made of jade on ebay, I'm sure. Along with matched sets of one-of-a-kind museum pieces...

      Alcyoneus

      Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@...> wrote:
      One of the reasons I've considered a temp job in China (but at
      the cost of a whole year!) is to get to look at some early armour.

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
        Anthony Bryant wrote:

        > Ah. That's 'cause she was born in Hong Kong, and it's in Cantonese. In Mandarin,
        > her name's Zhang Manyu (no relation to Zhang Ziyi).

        BTW: in one of the pointlessly stupid ways Pinyin works, "Zhang Ziyi" is
        pronounced /jong dzuh-ee/, and "Zhang Manyu" is pronounced /jong mahn-yoo/ --
        there's little rhyme or reason. "Shi" is pronounced almost exactly like the
        English "sure" (though farther back in the mouth) while "chi" is pronounced
        /chee/ (though close to the top and front of the mouth).

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
          Park McKellop wrote:

          > There is no need to move to China to get a good look. You can buy an
          > original complete suit made of jade on ebay, I'm sure. Along with matched
          > sets of one-of-a-kind museum pieces...

          E-bay. Ya gotta love it.

          Effing-up-too-late

          --

          Anthony J. Bryant
          Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

          Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
          http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
        • mattfmcti
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@b...> wrote:
            > Anthony Bryant wrote:
            >

            > > Ah. That's 'cause she was born in Hong Kong, and it's in
            Cantonese. In Mandarin,
            > > her name's Zhang Manyu (no relation to Zhang Ziyi).
            >
            > BTW: in one of the pointlessly stupid ways Pinyin works, "Zhang
            Ziyi" is
            > pronounced /jong dzuh-ee/, and "Zhang Manyu" is pronounced /jong
            mahn-yoo/ --
            > there's little rhyme or reason. "Shi" is pronounced almost exactly
            like the
            > English "sure" (though farther back in the mouth) while "chi" is
            pronounced
            > /chee/ (though close to the top and front of the mouth).
            >

            > Effingham

            Yet another reason why IPA shold be used for EVERYTHING *j/k* But
            seriously, a phonetically-based romanization system would seem so much
            more logical. I can deal with dropped vowels, like final -u in
            Japanese, but at least try to depict the way the vowels SOUND with its
            closest IE equivalent.

            Fujiwara
          • mattfmcti
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
              > Actually, it's a rather classic lamellar -- the scales are all laced
              together.
              > I've got a great book here called "The Qin Terracotta Army" with
              lots of great
              > close up photos. One of the reasons I've considered a temp job in
              China (but at
              > the cost of a whole year!) is to get to look at some early armour.

              Huh. Shows how good I am at picking out detail ^_^ After looking
              closer at some net pics, it seems the plates are punched with four
              holes on either side and two on the top and bottom, then laced
              overlapping down, correct? The section covering the shoulders and
              collar bones seems to be sort of tailored to the individual (the areas
              covered by kanagu mawari). Was this the case, or is there some pattern
              involved? Are you familiar with what I've seen called "mountain scale
              armour"? How does that date compared with the Qin lamellar?

              Back to Japanese: what were the period thicknesses of the plates used
              in the bowl of a kabuto? Were they tempered or hardened in some way to
              reduce weight while retaining the same level of protection? A lot has
              been made recently on the AA about the used of carbon steel and
              various hardening methods to improve authenticity and cut down on
              wieght, and I was wondering how this topic would be handled in a
              Japanese context.

              An eager and curious student humbly picking your brain,
              Fujiwara
            • Park McKellop