Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hero - loved it!

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
      There is no need to move to China to get a good look. You can buy an original complete suit made of jade on ebay, I'm sure. Along with matched sets of one-of-a-kind museum pieces...

      Alcyoneus

      Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@...> wrote:
      One of the reasons I've considered a temp job in China (but at
      the cost of a whole year!) is to get to look at some early armour.

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
        mattfmcti wrote:

        > Hiraizumi-sensei! Good to hear from you again. It's hard for me to
        > decide, CT, HD or Hero. Who wants to see Jet Li vs. Chow-yun Fat? I do
        > I do! Both were excellent.

        I could go for that. :)

        >>Close. Ish. Have you never seen pictures of the terracotta army?
        >> That's Qin
        >>armour at it's zenith (well, relatively speaking since there were
        >> only a few
        >>decades of Qin... :) )
        >

        > I've seen pictures of the group as a whole, but never one close up
        > enough to pick out any detail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks
        > like various square plates riveted at the corners to a leather (?)
        > backing...at least that's what I can pick up from the terracotta army.

        Actually, it's a rather classic lamellar -- the scales are all laced together.
        I've got a great book here called "The Qin Terracotta Army" with lots of great
        close up photos. One of the reasons I've considered a temp job in China (but at
        the cost of a whole year!) is to get to look at some early armour.

        >>As to the dipthong "eu" -- there isn't one that I can recall.
        >> Where'd you see
        >>it? Do you mean "ue" (as in "Feixue" -- Flying Snow")? If that's the
        >> case, it's
        >>essentially "weh"

        > I believe the actress who played Flying Snow's familial name is Leung
        > (again, could be wrong). Could you recommend a good resource on
        > Chinese pronunciation? I'm looking for the pronunciation for the
        > affirmative response, as the vowel is one I've never heard in any IE
        > language.

        Ah. That's 'cause she was born in Hong Kong, and it's in Cantonese. In Mandarin,
        her name's Zhang Manyu (no relation to Zhang Ziyi).

        > Any idea when we can expect some sokutai patterns? I've very exceited
        > about trying to put together a ketteki no hô. Again, it's good to have
        > you back.

        I have to get cracking on those. Sigh...

        > P.S. - Am I the only one who thinks Zhang Ziyi is a hottie? ^_^

        No, but she's apparently a major beeyatch and quite a handful.

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
          Anthony Bryant wrote:

          > Ah. That's 'cause she was born in Hong Kong, and it's in Cantonese. In Mandarin,
          > her name's Zhang Manyu (no relation to Zhang Ziyi).

          BTW: in one of the pointlessly stupid ways Pinyin works, "Zhang Ziyi" is
          pronounced /jong dzuh-ee/, and "Zhang Manyu" is pronounced /jong mahn-yoo/ --
          there's little rhyme or reason. "Shi" is pronounced almost exactly like the
          English "sure" (though farther back in the mouth) while "chi" is pronounced
          /chee/ (though close to the top and front of the mouth).

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
            Park McKellop wrote:

            > There is no need to move to China to get a good look. You can buy an
            > original complete suit made of jade on ebay, I'm sure. Along with matched
            > sets of one-of-a-kind museum pieces...

            E-bay. Ya gotta love it.

            Effing-up-too-late

            --

            Anthony J. Bryant
            Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

            Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
            http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
          • mattfmcti
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@b...> wrote:
              > Anthony Bryant wrote:
              >

              > > Ah. That's 'cause she was born in Hong Kong, and it's in
              Cantonese. In Mandarin,
              > > her name's Zhang Manyu (no relation to Zhang Ziyi).
              >
              > BTW: in one of the pointlessly stupid ways Pinyin works, "Zhang
              Ziyi" is
              > pronounced /jong dzuh-ee/, and "Zhang Manyu" is pronounced /jong
              mahn-yoo/ --
              > there's little rhyme or reason. "Shi" is pronounced almost exactly
              like the
              > English "sure" (though farther back in the mouth) while "chi" is
              pronounced
              > /chee/ (though close to the top and front of the mouth).
              >

              > Effingham

              Yet another reason why IPA shold be used for EVERYTHING *j/k* But
              seriously, a phonetically-based romanization system would seem so much
              more logical. I can deal with dropped vowels, like final -u in
              Japanese, but at least try to depict the way the vowels SOUND with its
              closest IE equivalent.

              Fujiwara
            • mattfmcti
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2004
                > Actually, it's a rather classic lamellar -- the scales are all laced
                together.
                > I've got a great book here called "The Qin Terracotta Army" with
                lots of great
                > close up photos. One of the reasons I've considered a temp job in
                China (but at
                > the cost of a whole year!) is to get to look at some early armour.

                Huh. Shows how good I am at picking out detail ^_^ After looking
                closer at some net pics, it seems the plates are punched with four
                holes on either side and two on the top and bottom, then laced
                overlapping down, correct? The section covering the shoulders and
                collar bones seems to be sort of tailored to the individual (the areas
                covered by kanagu mawari). Was this the case, or is there some pattern
                involved? Are you familiar with what I've seen called "mountain scale
                armour"? How does that date compared with the Qin lamellar?

                Back to Japanese: what were the period thicknesses of the plates used
                in the bowl of a kabuto? Were they tempered or hardened in some way to
                reduce weight while retaining the same level of protection? A lot has
                been made recently on the AA about the used of carbon steel and
                various hardening methods to improve authenticity and cut down on
                wieght, and I was wondering how this topic would be handled in a
                Japanese context.

                An eager and curious student humbly picking your brain,
                Fujiwara
              • Park McKellop