Spyware, perhaps? Re: [SCA-JML] Big Brother Yahoo is watching

  • Elizabeth Chase
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      I employ a gang of shinobi who scout for spyware....... WebRoot's Spy Sweeper http://www.webroot.com holds back the invading
      hordes fairly well. Then I have two firewalls.......... Microsoft's and ZoneLabs.

      The first time I ran SpySweeper it picked up files and bits in the mid-4,000s...... one to four a day since then, and my 'puter
      is much faster and obedient.

      Hopefully helpfully,

      Rizii

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        The other thing you can do is to not use IE but instead opt for another
        browser. I use Mozilla's Firefox which is very good at suppressing
        pop-ups and does not allow active-X controls, third party cookies (or
        any if you so choose), etc. Generally, it has none of the security hole
        idiocy of Microsoft and features a good set of preference controls. And
        it's free with no advertising. ^_^

        - mokurai

        --
        Cord: "Talking to you is like talking to a wall!"

        Blind Man: "Buddha once sat before a wall, and when he arose, he was enlightened."

        Cord: "Do you compare yourself to Buddha?"

        Blind Man: "No, just the wall."

        - 'Circle of Iron'
      • Jason Lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
          If you must use IE an option is called Maxthon, it's an
          freeware/donationware "shell" for IE that has tabbed browsing windows
          and Active-X and popup blockers and a plethora of other really cool
          features. I have been using it for 2 years (used to be called MyIE)
          and I am extremely happy with it. Happy enough in fact that I actually
          sent them a donation. I don't ever do that!!!
          --
          Jason Lewis
          E-Commerce and PHP Developer

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
              Nopers, it won't 'find' them on every computer. I ran that check and it didn't come up. The two you named have never been on my
              computer. Comet Cursor rides in very sneakily, though, through a self-installer. If you disable that function in your settings,
              some of that stuff won't get through.

              I like a lot of the suggestions the others had, 'cause I'm not very happy with MSN and IE. Gets my eyes all Clinty-like............

              Hope you find something that works for you,

              Rizii